Talk

Advanced search

How much do you pay your dog walkers/ sitters?

(7 Posts)
belindarose Thu 01-Sep-11 15:26:32

I'm thinking of asking my friend' DH, who can't work at the moment, if he'd walk my puppy on the days I work, or just take him into the garden if he's not well enough to walk. What rates do people pay for this, so that I can offer him something sensible? Thanks.

RobinSure Thu 01-Sep-11 15:38:22

Bout ten quid an hour. Usually involves a walk with other dogs, so she ends up nice and tired at the end of it.

belindarose Thu 01-Sep-11 15:46:58

Thanks. That's about what I'd thought of offering really. £20 over the two days to do what he wants with him. Might even love him so much he'll want to have him all day!

RobinSure Thu 01-Sep-11 15:49:49

If it's a chap who doesn't have dogs, worth having a good chat with him about what you want out of the walk. If it's a pup, might be worth trying to get him to work on the training of walking on lead etc.

If you've picked him cause he's a dog person, completely ignore the above sentence!

Scuttlebutter Thu 01-Sep-11 23:05:36

I'd want to be sure he understands his responsibilities and that he has insurance while he's walking your dog. Around £10 per hour is going rate here but for that, you can expect an enhanced CRB check and full public liability insurance - important considerations if they have a key to your house and sole charge of your dog.

belindarose Fri 02-Sep-11 07:08:13

Got a dog himself and is the husband if a good friend, so I wouldn't be worried about the key issue at all. I'll see what he says.

oldandcrabby Sat 03-Sep-11 16:20:29

How old is the pup? Young puppies should not be walked for too long, especially a large breed who may have hip problems later. Multiple short walks is the ideal: a rule of thumb is 5mins per month of age especially if they are being walked on hard surfaces. Play in the garden is fine as the pup can take a rest when he/she wants to. Reputable agility clubs will not accept dogs under a year old because of bone and muscle development.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now