Talk

Advanced search

Worried about my friends dogs

(11 Posts)
FrameyMcFrame Mon 29-Aug-11 20:02:26

I don't have dogs myself but I'm quite sure what she's doing is either illegal or cruel.
She has one dog of her own and works as a dogsitter for 2 other dogs. Quite regularly she will take the dogs out in the car and leave them in the car for up to 3 hours while her and her DC meet friends in town or visit a museum or shops. She leaves the sunroof open an inch and a bowl of water. Am i right in thinking this is dangerous?

PersonalClown Mon 29-Aug-11 20:08:43

Bloody dangerous.

The sunroof open an inch will not be enough to vent the heat building in the car and a bowl of water is not enough fluid to prevent dehydration in a constantly high heat.

Certainly wouldn't be leaving my dogs with her if I knew she was leaving them like that.

Tchootnika Mon 29-Aug-11 20:50:57

Dangerous and utterly out of order. And an utter, utter rip off for anyone leaving their dogs with her.
Report to RSPCA?
Warn her about likelihood of getting sued for this? (And let her know it's dangerous.)
Really bad.

FrameyMcFrame Tue 30-Aug-11 09:13:13

I thought so sad
I asked her why she didn't just leave the dogs in the house rather than in the car? But apparently her dog hates being left in the house, but surely that's better than being left in a car which could heat up to dangerous temps? Someone has already reported her to the police when the dogs were in a carpark. When she returned to the car the police were about to start trying to get the dogs out of the car as they'd been in there for 2 hours barking and they took her name and address and warned her. But she was convinced what she was doing was totally fine and that the dogs were fine and what was the problem? sad

DooinMeCleanin Tue 30-Aug-11 09:17:11

Report it to the police again next time you know she is out. You can do it anonymously.

It's very dangerous. Your friend is very lucky she has not already lost a dog. It will only take minutes during hot weather for a dog to over heat and die.

Cheria Tue 30-Aug-11 11:17:19

It's not just dangerous it is unfair on the dogs. I wouldn't leave anyone in a car for more than a few minutes, even if there wasn't the danger of the sun. She's lucky they haven't got bored and eaten her car seats.

multipoodles Tue 30-Aug-11 11:37:10

Just ask her to stick them in the microwave next time, it'll save having to get them into the car and provide water and will have the desired effect - COOKING them!!

intelligenceitself Tue 30-Aug-11 12:20:03

What a thick arsehole. People should have an IQ test before they are left with pets

Vallhala Tue 30-Aug-11 18:30:23

"What a thick arsehole. People should have an IQ test before they are left with pets"

<<snort>>

I just spat coffee over my laptop, thanks Intelligence!

OP I'd suggest that you print off some of the RSPCA warning stuff which you can find online and give to your friend. A dog can die in a hot car in less than 20 minutes, an agonising death where his organs will shut down before he succumbs to oblivion.

Personally I'd tell her that if I find that she's left the dogs locked in the car again I will inform all her known clients as well as the RSPCA and if I see the dogs in that situation I'd have no hesitation in smashing her car windows and removing them. Depends on what you think will get results, either way you're not being OTT.

FrameyMcFrame Wed 31-Aug-11 09:03:29

Thanks for the advice folks, as I say, I'm no expert but even I know that it's totally unacceptable! I was thinking about ringing RSPCA and telling them, maybe if they popped round and had a chat she might see sense. It's sort of worse in the respect that she's looking after other people's dogs too...

birdofthenorth Thu 01-Sep-11 19:00:07

I'd never leave my dogs in my car. Well, possibly while I pay for petrol, but never more than that. I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to them (or if they just got bored & distressed).

If a dog walker/ sitter did this to my dogs I would be FUMING. Would probably involve the RSPCA & police; and the local paper so she couldn't get business with dogs again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now