Talk

Advanced search

Will neutering my dog help? Can anyone advise?

(6 Posts)
KatiesKittens Wed 24-Aug-11 20:56:26

We have a 2 year old male chocolate lab who up to now has been very happy and well behaved. We had friends visiting a couple of weeks ago with their neutered spaniel and our dog spent the entire weekend trying to mount him. Since then he has been very disobedient, and has occasionally run away after castrated male dogs he came across at our usual dog walking venue. It all came to a head today when he was chasing yet another male dog and he actually made an elderly gentleman slip and fall by running in front of him. I have an appointment for the vet tomorrow but wondered if anyone had any advice.

Lizcat Wed 24-Aug-11 21:17:54

I wouldn't be promising that neutering would work. There are much more experienced behaviour and training people around, but my gut feeling is to go back to basic training and reinforce all of that again.

silentcatastrophe Thu 25-Aug-11 16:23:26

Neutered dogs smell different to un-neutered dogs, and the unchopped one may think he's in charge. Mounting is often more to do with being in charge than it is to do with sex. Neutering may or may not help. Do you have a good trainer you can ask?

CalamityKate Sat 27-Aug-11 11:01:59

Mounting is more to do with general arousal/excitement than it is to do with being in charge OR sex.

I'd guess he's had a lovely romping time with the spaniel and, like Lizcat says, needs his training reinforced.

DooinMeCleanin Sat 27-Aug-11 11:08:13

Mine is nuetered. He still humps. He does it when he gets over excited, so it is to do with general over excitement. I don't believe for a second it's dominance. He also humps my Dad's complete male Lurcher puppy.

Nuetering may or may not help, but should still be done imo, for health reasons aswell as making your dog less appealing to theives and controling any accidental matings. Training is most likely to help with the behaviours.

CalamityKate Sat 27-Aug-11 11:10:21

Yep.

My two spayed females hump each other from time to time, when they're playing particularly boisterously. My Mum used to have a spayed bitch who humped cushions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now