Talk

Advanced search

Looking for advice on elderly dogs with jealousy issues.

(5 Posts)
Esian Tue 23-Aug-11 11:40:55

I'm looking after my DB's 15 year old dog this week, along with my own 10yr old ridgey. They usually get along quite well but there have been issues in the past. My dog attacked DB's dog once when I bent down to pat DBs dog first- had to throw water over them! Then another time, DBs dog attacked mine when I gave a treat to my dog first at DBs house, tore a strip out of my dogs ear!

So how do I treat them while at my house? Should I always feed/stroke one dog before the other? If so, which one? There doesn't seem to be an 'alpha' dog iyswim. They're both getting a bit doddery on their legs now so I don't want to cause any OAP upset grin

They're both female btw.

Esian Tue 23-Aug-11 19:32:19

Anyone?

CalamityKate Tue 23-Aug-11 19:38:25

Never put them in a position where they feel they're competing - ie feed them separately and don't leave toys/chews/any other "prized" item lying around. Bear in mind that YOU count as a prized item - which is probably why they kicked off in the first incident you mentioned.

They both sound a little bit "guardy", so just be careful, keep an eye on them and at any hint of trouble, separate them. Better safe than sorry, especially with oldies. Bitch fights unfortunately can often be more intense than between males, and bitches seem to hold grudges more than males do. Keep a very close eye on them.

silentcatastrophe Tue 23-Aug-11 19:53:38

Probably more of what CK has said. If you can, it might help to keep them apart as much as you can. We have a muzzle for one of ours, who when tormented enough, chomps holes in our other ageing boy. The muzzle is more of an ornament, but at least it's there.
I've just read that they're both bitches. I would def. keep them apart as they can be sooo grudgy.

Esian Tue 23-Aug-11 20:08:14

Thanks for your replies smile

It's true, they do seem 'grudgy', these incidents happened a while ago and yet they are a bit wary around each other. They're fine when they're out walking and even seem protective of each other around other dogs.

Today I have locked one dog out of the kitchen while I fed the other, and then shooed the fed dog outside. I just hope I'm not committing a canine faux pas in feeding whichever dog is there first!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now