Talk

Advanced search

Home made toys for puppy

(11 Posts)
Skyrg Mon 22-Aug-11 21:05:45

We have recently got a puppy. He's only 8 weeks old and already much loved after being with us for a week grin

We went for variety rather than quantity with his toys, so he's only got a few but they're all different (chewable bone, teddy, ball etc). He's loves all his toys but since he's not yet ready to go out we need other things to interest him.
He likes chewing everything laces so I was wondering about making a toy for him with an old shoelace, but not sure what to attach this to.

Would appreciate suggestions of toys that can be homemade for a puppy, that he wouldn't be able to choke on etc. Reluctant to give him old toilet roll tubes or anything that he can actually eat.

Happymm Mon 22-Aug-11 21:33:50

We tied some old socks together in a big snack type thing, so had lumps to chew on, plus was a tuggy thing smile

Happymm Mon 22-Aug-11 21:34:19

Snake, not snack! Bloody iPadgrin

Pudding2be Mon 22-Aug-11 21:44:15

I second socks, my dog loved them as a pup. Also the dressing gown belt would keep him entertained too. Anything he could chase along was good

Skyrg Mon 22-Aug-11 21:48:09

Ooo, this is a very good idea. Especially since I have recently moved and sorted out my clothes... there's a pile of single socks with no pair so they would be perfect. I did give him an old sock which he loves but hadn't thought of tying several together. Am currently constructing said sock toy.

morethanyoubargainfor Mon 22-Aug-11 21:52:55

the other thing you can do is to soak a ragger in some meaty juices (watch the salt level) and freeze it. Kept my pup busy for ages!! i also got some old fleeces and cut them into strips and plaited them. i am still making these for my 2 4 years later and they still love them.

Skyrg Mon 22-Aug-11 22:16:52

Sock snake has gone down very well. Good way of getting him to follow you too grin (he's not yet trained and sometimes ignores 'come').

Not sure about meaty juices, we're vegetarian smile but plaiting fleeces sounds like a good idea, do you tie knots either end or leave the ends loose?

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 23-Aug-11 08:43:23

knot the ends. Just for the record i am also vegetarian, it doesn't have to be meaty juices just tasty ones.

UsingMainlySpoons Tue 23-Aug-11 08:44:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lizcat Tue 23-Aug-11 16:11:03

Please make sure that socks are tie in big knots that pup can not undo as us vets remove more socks from dogs intestines than we prefer to think about. 2 weeks ago I got a sock with a bonus stone for good measure.

Skyrg Tue 23-Aug-11 17:16:26

Socks are indeed tied tightly in a big knot. Was wondering whether to stitch them too but he might eat the thread.
Since he's still so little and still being house trained he is watched most of the time so hopefully we would be able to prevent any sock swallowing. He's not a big dog (cavalier-poodle cross) so hopefully not big enough to get up to much eating of socks. I did know a labrador that could easily eat several and poo them out again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now