Talk

Advanced search

Even I, as an experienced rescuer get *suckered*...

(13 Posts)
QuietTiger Mon 22-Aug-11 10:57:52

This is typical of our family, really. wink

Long story short, on Saturday, I picked up a new Border Collie. His story was that he had been from a long line of superb working dogs, he had been trained for work on the mountain with sheep, but wasn't good enough for mountain work or trialing. To stop him being shot (yes, that's very common practice within the Welsh farming community), our accountants elderly mother had agreed to take him as a "yard dog". (She has a farm). The term "yard dog" (certainly in the farming community) usually refers to a dog living it's life in a wooden kennel on the end of a chain. we were told he was a good working dog... hmm

He's been living on the end of a chain for 3 years. Eventually, our accountant was so fed up of seeing him permanently chained, she asked me to take him and get him into Wiccaweys. I agreed.

Then I spoke to DH. DH decided that if the dog in question is a "working dog" (i.e. a dog who was capeable of earning his living) then DH would have him - as a working dog...

Well, our new boy is wonderful. He's a huuuge BC, and he's very smiley, happy and cheerful. He gets on well with all the other animals and seems very bidable... But work? I don't think so. We have ended up with yet another cuddly dope of a dog, who gives fantastic kisses, but is shit scared of cows and sheep...

And DH has fallen in love. I suspect that our new dog won't be making it to wiccaweys after all. Especially since DH has already rung the vet to have him chipped, vaccinated and neutered... so much for DH saying "we're not having any more dogs!"

Cheria Mon 22-Aug-11 11:29:39

Awww that's a sweet story. He's going to have a happy life finally smile

lisad123 Mon 22-Aug-11 11:33:40

im glad he has a happy ending as a family dog grin

coccyx Mon 22-Aug-11 12:30:50

oh i thought it was going to be a sad ending. At last he is getting the love and attention he deserves

Scuttlebutter Mon 22-Aug-11 12:36:15

Aw, come on QT, every rescue person I know ends up with a "failed" foster at some point. grin

Scuttle looks round at blonde greyhound who is lying contentedly on a duvet behind her farting heroically. Yes, matey, I'm looking at you.

Of course, the other point to make is that your DH, is, ahem, preparing newdog for his future forever home by having the work done at the vets, and that he's being very conscientous and thorough. wink

Or maybe not.

In any case, I'm looking forward to meeting him, and the rest of the "working" dogs (cough, cough).

Carrotsandcelery Mon 22-Aug-11 12:39:25

Aww! He sounds fab and thank goodness he is finally in a loving home.

We have a collie cross rescue and he is the best. You just can't help falling in love with them. wink

DogsBestFriend Mon 22-Aug-11 12:57:52

Give your DH a hug from me! smile

QuietTiger Mon 22-Aug-11 13:10:23

Ahem... all of my dogs are "working dogs"... it's just their definition of work is different to our definition of work... wink

Lizcat Mon 22-Aug-11 15:21:40

He may not have found his stride yet. The very best BC I have had the priviledge to work with - Willow - bless her soul didn't get it till she was 8 years old and then one day the light bulb went on. She was a rock hard working dog until the day before she died at the age of 15 years. She was also a rare dog who would also work for the vet.

QuietTiger Mon 22-Aug-11 16:45:48

No Lizcat, I think he's just.... ahem... "slightly challenged in the brains dept". wink grin But I shall hold out hope after hearing your story!

Pawsnclaws Thu 25-Aug-11 18:20:20

Hmm I don't know about challenged - he sounds pretty smart to me!

CoffeeIsMyFriend Fri 26-Aug-11 21:50:32

oh QT I love your story! My dogs are 'working' dogs too. It is the definition of work... wink

roseyposeysmum Mon 29-Aug-11 10:24:43

Sounds very familier.

I used to work at a vets and we got a lurcher in with a broken leg and no owner, his ability to eat 4 tins of dog food (he had not been fed for days the poor sod) impressed me and he looked at me with his big brown eyes and that was it hook line and sinker i was in love ! He ended up costing me over £8000 to try and fix his leg, then chop his leg off and various clumsy falls he had through being a three legged hop along. I was meant to foster him till we found him a suitable home - 9 years i had him. I came home one day to find he had a new collar on and his new id tag with my name on.

He lived to the ripe old age of 15 when we sadly lost him, and i miss him every day. he was one of those dogs you will never forget.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now