Talk

Advanced search

Phantom pregnancy

(4 Posts)
Sargesaweyes Mon 22-Aug-11 09:07:37

Never posted here before but always read as I am a massive doggy person. Can anyone help me regarding my springer spaniel? She is 5 and we didn't get her spade as we were thinking of breeding her. However circumstances have changed and we won't be so will be getting her spade asap. She has had her season and now is experiencing a phantom pregnancy ( I think but it seems to be going on and on!) She is very posessive over toys with my poor elderly springer, sometimes she eats loads and sometimes she eats nothing, is still loving her walks but is a bit clingy and grumpy in the house. For example This morning she has eaten her breakfast, had a walk, played fetch but now is curled up looking miserable licking her lips. How long does this go on for? I want my happy dog back and instead I have a hormonal mess on my hands- I am 40 weeks pregnant so could this be a factor? I am a bit ridiculous with my dogs and always seem to be at the vets for nothing and all my family feel I over react and throw money away so need balanced advice please.

Habanera Mon 22-Aug-11 16:10:10

We went through this recently-it went on for about 3 weeks. It was really sad and annoying! We had another dog come anyway to be looked after for a weekend and they had fun playing, and she seemed back to normal afterwards. She was mothering a squeaky toy which I had to remove or the other dog would have eaten it, and after the other dog left she didn't seem to miss it at all.
If you are getting her spayed anyway why not consult the vet, you need to do it anyway for that, and won't get charged more for asking about this issue at the same time IME.

Sargesaweyes Tue 23-Aug-11 13:20:49

Thanks for info. She seems fine today but will make an appointment to go to the vets just to check.

LittleB Tue 23-Aug-11 22:05:48

Hi, I would get her spayed, my mums dog had 2 phantom pregnancies (she was a rescue and they got her just over a year ago) so they decided to spay her, despite the breeder telling her not to bother. They did and the vet found she had developed ulcers in her uterus which probably contributed to the hormone inbalance causing the phantom pregnancies, left untreated it may well have deveoped into pyometra which can be fatal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now