Talk

Advanced search

Inexperienced and unsure if I need to call a vet.

(33 Posts)
tooearlytobeup Sun 21-Aug-11 17:12:15

I have had my 10 week old pup for 5 days. I brought him home on the day he had his 2nd vaccinations.

Since the 2nd day I've had him, he has had very runny poos. He has been eating grass a lot too.
I had not changed his food from the Natures Diet he was on, but had given him puppy biscuits as treats as I wanted to start training asap.

On Thursday he was sick twice and didnt seem hungry. At this point I stopped giving him his dog food and gave him just chicken instead. He ate this happily.

He has not been pooing frequently, but when he did it was liquid. This continued until this morning when it became a little thicker. (He pooed again while I was typing, and it is still liquid)

Since Friday, he has eaten only chicken and rice (and possibly a slug I didn't get to in time) he has been in and out of the garden though, so could have possibly picked something else up.

Today he has been making a coughing sound, and being sick. This has happened about 10-12 times. He has generally been bringing up nothing, or clear liquid with black bits in it, clear liquid with grass, but the last twice he has brought back some of the rice he had just eaten.

All the time he has seemed fine in himself, he has been eating and drinking normally, is not dehydrated at all. He is quiet, not boisterous, but I don't know if that is a sign of something being wrong, or just the way he is IYSWIM

I don't know if this is just due to the change of home etc or if I should be worried.

I have a vets appointment anyway for wednesday, would you just carry on as I have, and see what happens? Arrange an appointment tomorrow when they open, or try to get to an out of hours clinic?

Happymm Sun 21-Aug-11 17:54:36

If he seems ok in self, and is drinking and hydrated, I would probably wait till the morning and take him then.

Hope all's ok,x

tooearlytobeup Sun 21-Aug-11 18:05:49

Thanks Happymm. He has actually been sick 4 times since I posted, so I have called the vets.
I am waiting for him to call me back. They have said if I need an appointment today it is £115 before the cost of any treatment shock sad

He is busy though so I have to wait about an hour for a call back, so plenty of time for me to worry in the meantime

ShoutyBag Sun 21-Aug-11 18:25:37

Oh poor doggie. Have you taken out pet insurance at all? Fingers crossed for it not being anything serious.

tooearlytobeup Sun 21-Aug-11 18:29:19

Yes I've taken it out, but it says he's not covered for anything during the first 10 days.
As we only had him on Tuesday, he wont be covered by that anyway.
He hasn't been sick in the last 20 minutes or so, and is sleeping, so I'm really hoping that it's not anything major

ShoutyBag Sun 21-Aug-11 19:10:35

Bugger! Did you get him from a breeder at all, or if not could you check with the people who sold him to you whether any of the other pups are ill? The vet may want to see his vacc certificate to see exactly what he has been given. Sorry I can't help any further.

morethanyoubargainfor Sun 21-Aug-11 19:15:19

Have you had a call yet? I hope pup is ok.

tooearlytobeup Sun 21-Aug-11 19:24:26

ShoutyBag, just replying is a big help, I'm on my own with the kids, so can't speak to anyone about it sad.

We didn't have him from a breeder, he was a rescue pup. I haven't heard from the vet yet.

activate Sun 21-Aug-11 19:27:37

I'd give him dioralyte or similar

you can make it yourself if you don't have any in

activate Sun 21-Aug-11 19:28:54

6 level teaspoons of sugar and 1/2 level teaspoon of salt dissolved in 1 litre of clean water (or a little more, but not less)

activate Sun 21-Aug-11 19:29:33

rescue pup from where?

have you called the rescue centre?

tooearlytobeup Sun 21-Aug-11 19:43:06

I made some of that up a little earlier activate, he is drinking it happily.

I spoke with the rescue centre on Friday night, and the lady there said to call if he got worse and she would take him back to care for him, but I really don't want to do that if it's avoidable. I would rather look after him myself and pay for vet treatment, than put more strain on the centre.

He is running around quite happlly, but is being sick really frequently.
Still waiting for the vet to ring. I would normally feed him around 8.30 ish. Would you give him chicken and rice, or nothing at all?

Abra1d Sun 21-Aug-11 19:46:01

Both my 'recent' puppies have had runny tummies for a while when we brought them home. I think it was the excitement and inevitable stress of moving to a new home.

Try rice with chicken or white fish, steamed, or microwaved in a little water. Scrambled egg (not with milk or butter) also helps 'bind'.

BUT--I would wait to speak to the vet first.

ShoutyBag Sun 21-Aug-11 19:47:57

Ring the rescue centre. They will be used to this sort of thing all the time and will know exactly what advice to offer. Even if he goes back for a little while it could save you the vet bills and give peace of mind to you, knowing he's in good hands.

tooearlytobeup Sun 21-Aug-11 20:21:06

I think I may have to, theres still no call from the vet's.
He just keeps retching now, I think he has run out of stuff to throw up. He's definately not dehydrated, and he is not lethargic, so I don't think it's urgent.
I'm going to feed him in a bit I think, even if he trows it up strait away, he might keep a bit down

DogsBestFriend Sun 21-Aug-11 20:27:26

Certainly ring the rescue, most rescue owners are up until all hours and they'd rather you shared your concerns and were able to help you than not, I'm sure.

I'm not impressed that the vet hasn't yet called you back, even to say wassup and if he/she thinks it can wait to call you back later on tonight.

"I would rather look after him myself and pay for vet treatment, than put more strain on the centre."... but bless ya, I wish rescue could find more like you! smile

tooearlytobeup Sun 21-Aug-11 21:05:11

The vet was with someone else when I called, and was then going to a calving so its probably the bloody cows fault. Perhaps I should ring again and shout PUSH! down the phone grin

Lady at the rescue did say to phone anytime, but her mum is very ill, so I dont want to ring if I can avoid it. I spoke with her earlier in the week.

activate Sun 21-Aug-11 21:06:46

I'd keep him off food for 24 hours and just give him warm rehydration (ie not chilled)

activate Sun 21-Aug-11 21:09:13

info here www.dogbreedinfo.com/diarrhea.htm

Piffle Sun 21-Aug-11 21:31:25

10 wks is too young to fast, what you need is a vet check
Why £115 up front?
That seems mad?

tooearlytobeup Sun 21-Aug-11 21:45:30

Finally spoken with the vet, he was in emergency surgery, hence the delay.

Thanks for the link activate, I found that earlier too (thank God for Google)

He has said to carry on as I am and to ring him in the morning. He has mentioned Gastro, some type of worm or even Parvo shock as possibilities.

I've just managed to cook a meal for my poor kids who have been neglected all day in favour of the dog sad
If he's no better in the morning, I think they will have to start ordering takeaway for themselves lol

tooearlytobeup Sun 21-Aug-11 21:52:10

Sorry Piffle I wasn't ignoring you, I had started typing, went to see to the dog and clicked post when I came back so didn't see your message.

I haven't fasted him, he is eating well, just being sick a lot as well. The vet said to carry on feeding him too.

The £115 was the emergency call fee, any treatment was charged on top of that. Bloody typical that he would chose a Sunday evening to get worse wink

I am getting ready for a long night, just wish I could have wine

Happymm Mon 22-Aug-11 08:20:44

How is he this morning tooearly?x

ditavonteesed Mon 22-Aug-11 08:32:43

how is he this morning?

tooearlytobeup Mon 22-Aug-11 08:34:37

He was sick overnight, and he's been sick about 4 times this morning so far, so definately an improvement since yesterday evening.

He sneezed a couple of times as well, so I don't know if that is related, or just coincidence.

We are waiting for the vets to open so I can ring them and make an appointment. He's currently sleeping at my feet smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now