Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know anything about great dane bitches?

(6 Posts)
extremepie Sat 20-Aug-11 10:56:04

I have a GD bitch, she's 8 months now and I'm not sure when she's going to come into season.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Just wondering if there are any signs to look out for or ways to deal with it? I've heard a few horror stories, are they really that bad?

Any info much appreciated!

coccyx Sat 20-Aug-11 14:43:48

Our first dane came into season when she was about 10 months old. Very clingy, and her outside lady parts became very swollen ! The bleeding lasted about 2 weeks. Have to say she was booked in for pre spaying check a few days before she came into season! Was spayed as soon as possible afterwards.
The rescue Dane we had in Middle East was older, I noticed the swollen parts and immediately got on the internet for 'pants'. Looked like a thong. I attached a small pant liner to it and have to say saved a lot of mess

coccyx Sat 20-Aug-11 14:46:23

Mikki hygiene pants. about 6 pounds

extremepie Sat 20-Aug-11 14:57:38

Thanks for the info, don't know anyone else who has a GD, let alone a female one so not really sure what to expect!

coccyx Sat 20-Aug-11 18:52:12

They are a wonderful breed. but do tend to hog the settee

extremepie Sun 21-Aug-11 08:55:23

Yep, very true, Luna has a leather one all to herself at the moment! Just out of curiousity how big did your girls get?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now