Talk

Advanced search

Can someone help with advice on fear aggression?

(6 Posts)
MotherJack Fri 19-Aug-11 13:27:37

Yesterday there was a plea put out for someone to get a dog out of a situation where the owner was going to have the dog put to sleep... she had even phoned the RSPCA and told them it was a pit bull hmm The dog is a Stafford who has been kept muzzled in a garage for 2 years and not seen the light of day. A rescue offered back up and someone who has previously fostered for the rescue got her out last night.

The poor dog is in a terrible mess apparently, exhibiting fear aggression (understandably) and the fosterer is terrified of inadvertently making it worse. I don't think the rescue has anyone with this kind of behaviour experience.

Can anyone help? Has anyone please got any tips that I can pass on? Thank you

CalamityKate Fri 19-Aug-11 14:00:08

TBH, I think the only responsible response to this sort of post is "Find a qualified behaviourist who can see the dog first hand and advise accordingly."

It's one thing giving advice over the net on housetraining, but any sort of aggression is a totally different kettle of fish.

Poor dog sad

MotherJack Fri 19-Aug-11 18:53:36

Thanks Calamity. You're right, of course - just hoping for some sort of miracle I suppose. As she is under the care of the rescue, I don't think they would necessarily be able to afford a behaviourist but I shall ask them if they have contacts.

Poor wee girl is terrified of the bloke - who is fabulous with dogs and loves them to bits - but she goes ballistic when he walks into a room if she is in it.

CalamityKate Fri 19-Aug-11 19:12:03

Most rescues know of behaviourists though surely? At least the big ones? And if it's a smaller one it might be worth asking one of the bigger ones who they use?

What a horrible start she's had sad

Hope someone can help her x

TheMonster Fri 19-Aug-11 19:14:45

Is she reacting differently to women? My dog was bady abused as a puppy and was petrified of men when I first got him.

MotherJack Fri 19-Aug-11 20:07:05

It's not a big rescue. One of the bigger small ones, but not big.

Yes Eeyore... she is ok with the woman, but not the bloke. I have been led to understand there is a lot more going off too but don't know exactly what as yet, other than she appears completely terrified.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now