Talk

Advanced search

Dog in heat - how best to exercise ?

(6 Posts)
heididrink Fri 19-Aug-11 11:58:18

I have an 8month old beardie collie who is used to being off the lead and running free.
She is in heat - day 10 today - and because I have kept her on the lead on each walk I just dont feel that she is getting enough exercise.
Does anyone have any suggestions ? I have been playing ball with her in the garden but now she is coming up to me every 2 mins nudging me to play with her.
She usually settles after her morning walk but she has also become very clingy and I now have a velcro dog grin
Help I need to get on with other things !
She will be getting spayed in Nov thankfully

CalamityKate Fri 19-Aug-11 13:34:12

Do you clicker train at all?

When mine had her season (I had her spayed after that) I upped her training, along with more play sessions in the garden (tuggie is a great energy-expender) and TBH, although I had been dreading it (she's a BC cross and pretty high-energy) she wasn't anywhere near as hyper as I thought she'd be.

Fifteen minutes of clicker training a new trick used to knacker her out nicely grin

heididrink Fri 19-Aug-11 13:41:35

thanks for the advice. I have been thinking of clicker training mainly because although she will obey me she totally ignores my DH.
I think we will give it a go.
I need something to tire her out as she is hardly sleeping and is following me everywhere - even to the toilet grin

CalamityKate Fri 19-Aug-11 13:49:12

Don't think of it as "ignoring" your DH. Remember cues/commands sound TOTALLY different from different people. My dog doesn't do what DP or the kids ask her - unless I remind them to mimic my tone of voice/body cues. In fact I think body cues are often easier for dogs to "read" from person to person. If my DS says "Close", dog stares at him uncomprehendingly - but if he just says her name in an upbeat way and puts his hand in the right place on his hip, she bounds into position.

musicposy Sat 20-Aug-11 00:46:08

I find that brain stimulation is as important as physical stimulation for our dog when she's been unable to exercise much.

I take her out in the car a lot, if either I am getting out and there is a family member to stay in the car with her, or if I am just picking up/ dropping off one of the DDs. She particularly likes the train station as there are lots of people to look at. I guess this depends on your dog - mine loves the car and is very nosey!

We also do brain games. At the moment I have a badly burned foot and cannot walk her so she is getting short inferior walks with the DDs (I don't want them wandering miles on their own). She was going stir crazy, especially at night hmm, so DD sat down with dog and did a long game session yesterday, bless her. Dog was exhausted and slept really well last night!

Her favourite game is for us to get 3 beakers and she has to sit and watch while we put the treat under the beaker. Then she has to go to the correct beaker to retrieve it, or she has to sit and try again. She quickly got too good at this, so now, DD swaps the beakers around whilst the treat is under it. She is a scream to watch - the concentration on her little doggy face! She loves it and wants to just keep playing and playing!

We also try getting a treat and swapping it from hand to hand behind our back. We hold out our hands. She can easily guess the hand it's in - by smell I imagine- so we try making the treat very small and making both hands smell. She still gets it correct, but she does enjoy it.

DD also does language lessons. Our older Sheltie is brilliant at this, but he's 9 and we reckon he understands everything anyway! DD shows an object and repeatedly names it. Then she puts it round the house somewhere and says "fetch the bowl!" (or whatever it is). Our Sheltie dutifully runs off and gets it. Our younger dog is not so good with this, though she excels at the rest compared to our elder one.

We also do agility in the garden, though you won't want to jump with a puppy. But you can get those play tunnels, and put sticks in the grass (my DDs used garden tools) for them to weave in and out of. Our younger dog adores this and it is both physical and mental exercise. Our elder one just runs round the outside and then looks for a treat hmm.

All these things are time intensive, I'm afraid, but will result in a lovely sleeping dog for a couple of hours!

heididrink Sat 20-Aug-11 12:33:06

great advice will try some of these today. Only another 12 days to go ...sigh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now