Talk

Advanced search

how long for a walk for a puppy

(13 Posts)
TheHumanCatapult Fri 19-Aug-11 08:30:55

I forgot to ask my mum how long she normally walks her puppy for he is now 5 months old and is a Lab .

Can not get hold of her to check what she does and need to nip to the shops in a bit but not sure if be to much walking for him .know your not to overwalk them when young due to hips

Or to leave him in his cage while i nip up ,( is cage trained and got her to bring it so he has his bed!.He is used to being in my house as he comes over with her a lot

Pisky Fri 19-Aug-11 09:13:55

Think its 5 mins per month of age - so about 25mins?

Sure someone more knowledgeable will be along in a moment or you could try searching through the new puppy thread......

TheHumanCatapult Fri 19-Aug-11 09:17:47

thnk you have had a nosey and can not see it .

We are going to be her dogsitters if she needs to be out for teh day or goes away .so my dc get the fun of a dog without teh long term responsorabilites that go with having a dog of our own

Happymm Fri 19-Aug-11 18:27:57

We have a 4month old lab. Don't adhere strictly to the 5mins/month of life, but do use it as a guide, so a walk in the am and training session in the pm.

Hope that helps, smile

MurielTheActor Fri 19-Aug-11 18:57:53

I was told by my vet that the 5mins per month rule was put about by breeders to prevent any comeback about dogs becoming lame, developing early arthritis etc and is not what a vet would advise.
We have large old dog and new pup and pup does same length walk, although doesn't cover as much ground as not chasing balls/sticks.
One day we went on v long walk and pup just lay down exhausted and had to be carried home grin and no sign of lameness....

TheHumanCatapult Fri 19-Aug-11 19:43:06

hi he has had 3 walks today one of 20 mins and other of 40 .As am aware when he has bene here no access to a garden .

He has gone home for a rest now

Happymm Fri 19-Aug-11 20:05:56

Think that was maybe way way too much walking. I know that with ours, if we overdo the walking! Then she ends up in a bit of a mess, and is very like an overtired toddler IYKWIM! grin

TheHumanCatapult Fri 19-Aug-11 20:21:38

no he was fine and had energy enoughto want to play but has no garden to play in of the lead so his walks wer emore sedate than free play.

Kids have enjoyed it and so have I grin but confirmed that having a dog/puppy of our own is not for us we shall stick with puppy sitting now and then

DaisySteiner Sat 20-Aug-11 09:28:25

According to the KC website, the 5 minutes per month of life is up to twice a day.

misschenko Sat 20-Aug-11 10:25:42

muriel, lameness wouldn't show up right away. My lab is a year old and I've been paranoid about sticking to the 5 minute per month of age per day because neighbour has a 3 yr old lab which developed hip problems at 18 months, needed ops and can only go on lead walks now. She used to take him on long walks when he was a small puppy and he seemed to be fine. She now blames the vet for telling her the breeder was talking a load of rubbish about restricting exercise. Perhaps dog would have had problems anyway but I didn't want to risk it. Bailey had his first birthday yesterday so no need to restrict exercise any more, if he gets hip problems it would be upsetting but at least I won't have to wonder if it was my fault. The labrador forum has got lots of useful information about labs and exercise, I think it was a poster there that first came up with the 5 minute rule then the Kennel Club did its own version.

TheHumanCatapult Sat 20-Aug-11 10:58:20

hmm ok can seemay need a rethink .

so be looking at 25 mnins walk twice a day ( is on lead ) but as lovely as a pup he is thought of having him indoors or rest of the time may drive both him , me and teh dc round teh bend

misschenko Sat 20-Aug-11 11:22:13

good explanation here about why puppies need to learn to settle and how overdoing the exercise hypes them up rather than tires them out.

TheHumanCatapult Sat 20-Aug-11 12:08:40

Thank you makes it clearer

since when with me its gentle lead walks only and we do not often meet anyone else .

Plus need to take him out for bathroom use anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now