Talk

Advanced search

Foxes in garden - will scent of dog keep them away?

(12 Posts)
VirgoGrr Tue 16-Aug-11 19:45:37

Hi

Just moved house, seems to be a very high number of foxes in the area.
Looks like they gallivant at will through all the gardens and have seen several in street outside and two on different occasions in our garden.
Found a small fox carcass in the garden (blergh) when we moved in.

Anyone else in a similarly foxy area and do you think they will stay away when they get the idea that there's a big dog on the premises?

I would like them to stay away because I've already had to take a very wormy bone off the dog that a nighttime visitor has left behind.
I also wouldnt want him to get into a fight with one or chase one. One of the garden fences is not very high and although he wouldnt attempt to jump it under normal circs, I think he would if he was after a fox.

tallulah Tue 16-Aug-11 21:04:56

Our old house was in a very foxy area. We had 2 dogs (JRT and a Ridgeback) and the foxes ignored them, even coming up to look in the back window..

Elibean Tue 16-Aug-11 21:52:48

We had a whole fox den under the big tree in the bottom of our garden when we moved in. We had an extension built, and whilst the builders were here the foxes scarpered - but they have slowly crept back in, and a new litter were born this spring and are now nearly grown hmm

Planning on a dog after the holidays, and was hoping maybe some male doggy urine around the perimeter would help....depressing to read Tallulah's post! So no experience yet, but paws crossed and sympathy, Virgo.

FWIW, dh has managed to keep them out of the vegetable bed by using one of those 'red eyes flashing' simulator boxes: they no longer play on his broccoli. But you have to have them every few yards, or it won't work.

VirgoGrr Tue 16-Aug-11 23:03:10

Just been reading something interesting on a poultry keeping forum. Apparently, they wee around chicken coops to deter foxes. Has to be male urine apparently, so perhaps it needs testosterone. Neutered dogs might not have the requisite smell.

musicposy Tue 16-Aug-11 23:43:35

You have your answer then - get DP to do it! grin

VirgoGrr Tue 16-Aug-11 23:47:00

Yeah, about that. Might need to give him a watering can to wee in. Dont want to give the elderly lady next door a fright.

Mind you most of the neighbours at our old house had had an eyeful at some point in the last 4 years. grin

stayathomegardener Tue 16-Aug-11 23:52:47

No they will enjoy baiting your dog who will respond by barking all night.

LittlePushka Tue 16-Aug-11 23:57:33

Will only keep them away if you let them loose outside to chase them (any more than two dogs and thats illegal wink . Urban foxes are not remotely bothered by dogs barking indoors.

Elibean Wed 17-Aug-11 09:51:22

Did a little research last night, you can buy some weird 'harmless' fox-deterring gadgets that basically sense movement then spray everything within 50 m with water! I can just see the dc having a blast with that.

I've also heard the peeing around the perimeter thing, and yes it does have to be an (un-neutered) male, and dh has actually done it once - after dark - but we didn't stay up to see if it worked grin

Not done it since, as elderly neighbours on both sides are already a bit rattled by our building work - dh weeing near their boundaries would probably finish them off.

Labradorlover Wed 17-Aug-11 11:10:20

They may be ever so slightly more cautious. We were away for a week with the dogs and on our return the foxes were totally taking the piss. Pottering around the garden and snoozing on the grass in the daytime. Now back to normal, which means lots of noise and rummaging about at night to make the dogs bark and shitting in the dogs' bowls if I leave them out in the garden. Husband's pee has had no effect.....
Foxes will run from the dogs ( and have had to improve the fences to stop the dogs chasing them ) but don't seem too bothered by humans. I think a neighbour is feeding them.

VirgoGrr Wed 17-Aug-11 18:34:42

Bollocks. Just going to have to put up with them then.
We'll have a go at the wee thing, but can predict the novelty wearing off with that quickly. Will let dog have a go and hope he doesnt follow them over the fence. grin He's had one chase down the street already and came back after a minute or so.

Dog is v v sound sleeper, probably would just about wake up if burglar broke in so not had any barking at night. (touch wood) Will just have to patrol often for dead animal leftovers.

I have no idea why there are so many here. It's less rural than our old house but there are many many more. Used to see a couple of fat ones in the street at the old house but they were quite people shy. Cant believe anyone would be intentionally feeding the little fuckers.

Even if you think they're cute (which I don't) surely people would get pissed off with them digging up their gardens? I'd be a bit nervous of keeping a cat here, dont think it would last long.

Lara2 Sat 20-Aug-11 11:02:25

No - the local foxes use my garden as a shortcut. The dogs are always running outside and chasing them...... makes no difference!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now