We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

which puppy??

(12 Posts)
jollymollie Tue 16-Aug-11 17:19:58

We have deliberated for a long time but have decided we would love to extend our family and get a puppy. I am at home during the day and the children are both school age so it should work out fine. I am thinking of getting a lhasa apso as I had one of these when i was a child and he was a gorgeous little thing and very well behaved. I want to really make sure i get the right dog as he will be with us forever. Would a lhasa be the right choice and if so boy or girl? or has anyone got any other suggestions. We want a small dog (but not tiny) and one that's good with the dc's (6 and 8). Any dog experts around to give us some advice? thanks!

glasscompletelybroken Thu 18-Aug-11 17:33:16

We have a beagle puppy - 4 months old now and we got her at 9 weeks. More medium sized than small but a manageable size and not too hairy! The best thing about beagles is that they absolutely LOVE children and are really sociable with everyone. My DH has 2 children 10 & 8 who live with us half the time and I have 6 grandchildren all 6 and under and she is great with them. They like company but not a problem for you if you are at home - they also need a lot of exercise.

LeBOF Thu 18-Aug-11 17:38:05

Cavalier King Charles are the sweetest natured dogs for children, in my experience, and are small without being too silly-looking. And CUTE!

DogsBestFriend Thu 18-Aug-11 18:01:14

I own German Shepherds and a Lab and have always had big dogs so I can't advise on that BUT I can say this:

As a rescuer I would urge you to adopt a pup or dog from rescue - national, local, breed or all-breed - as there are already more dogs in the UK than there are homes and thus healthy young dogs are killed in their hundreds each week in pounds and vet surgeries up and down the country. I'm happy to recommend reputable rescues and tell you what to look for and what to avoid in one if so.

If you are not willing to do this, FGS - or rather for yours, the dogs' and the future of canine welfare - please go to a reputable breeder whom you have found through the BREED club, not through the Kennel Club.

Please be aware that a huge number of Kennel Club reg dogs are puppy farmed - even reputable breeders reckon it to be about 90%. KC registration or accreditation is no guarantee of a reputable breeder or a healthy pup. At best these people are largely Backyard Breeders - those who breed for profit or because their dog is cute with no regard for improving or even maintaining breed lines and no bloody idea what they're doing.

Do all your research, ensure that your pup and his parents have had all relevant health checks and insist on seeing ORIGINALS of all paperwork to prove this. Avoid anyone who breeds more than one breed of dog or who has more than one litter. A good breeder will have a waiting list AND a back-up waiting list for their pups BEFORE the bitch is mated and will NEVER, EVER advertise their dogs in the papers/online - they don't need to.

Be prepared to be asked lots of questions by the breeder - the less they ask the less they give a monkeys where their pups are going to live and with whom, which speaks volumes for them. Check their license with their local council.

Bluntly, and very sadly, approach this with more caution than you would finding a childminder for your PFB as the number of puppy farmers and backyard breeders out there is huge.

Oh.... and forget this daft Lhasa Apso idea.... German Shepherds and Labrador crosses are much nicer! grin

Happymm Thu 18-Aug-11 18:06:13

DBF, agree! My beautiful first dog was a GSDxlab. Lovely lovely dog smile

Mermaid2 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:09:11

I agree with DogsBestFriend, we had a westie from a puppy and he was the best adorable companion til the end. We have since rescued a springer spaniel from RSPCA and about 6 weeks ago another rescue springer puppy that had been left in a field.

However, not all rescues work and and dogs often go back, so a reputable breeder is also worthwhile but you have to see the puppies with their mum IMO. A friend bought a westie puppy and on the journey home noticed a problem with the poor little things eye, they spend about £300 pounds in the first two weeks, fortunately dog is fine now, but it pays to do research.

DogsBestFriend Thu 18-Aug-11 18:16:39

Happymm, my 2 GSD and my Labrador cross say they like you! grin

jollymollie Fri 19-Aug-11 12:43:21

thanks for the replies and the advice. I would love to adopt a rescue dog but not really sure how to go about this. We've checked out our local rspca centre but they only seem to have older dogs and most of which are not suitable to be homed with children. Do they often get puppies? I'm not bothered so much about breed but do need to choose wisely as I intend whichever dog we choose to be with us forever.

MmeLindor. Fri 19-Aug-11 12:45:56

We have a Maltese x Cavalier King Charles and she is fab. Similar size to Llasa, doesn't shed, totally loyal and sweet, great with DC.

LeBOF Fri 19-Aug-11 12:47:54

You could google breed-specific rescues? I know there is a Cavalier one.

higgle Sat 20-Aug-11 16:05:36

Many Tears always have rescue puppies, and you may be able to see them with their mother because often they take in pregnant bitches. If you scroll down as far as "Keats" on the list you'll be sold!

higgle Sat 20-Aug-11 16:11:39

Many Tears always have rescue puppies, and you may be able to see them with their mother because often they take in pregnant bitches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now