Talk

Advanced search

My dog is sneezing and coughing, especially on start of walk

(5 Posts)
jensape Mon 15-Aug-11 18:59:55

It seems like she has a cold - cough sounds like a wheeze and she is sneezing. Not excessively so though and she is still up for her walks and eating well. Has been jumping down from leather sofa in the evenings only to jump up on another one as if she wants to feel the coolness of it. Seems normal self otherwise. Does it sound like kennel cough? She spent 10 days at dog sitters recently when we were on holiday (dog sitter has 3 dogs). Should I take her to the vets? I don't want to waste their time (or my money) if there is nothing they can do (ie. if just a virus). She is not producing any mucus or anything. At the onset of symptoms she was sick a couple of times, but that was all.

Any advice much appreciated - she's nearly 2 years old and never been ill before (apart from conjuntivitis).

ditavonteesed Mon 15-Aug-11 19:04:06

I would say kennel cough, I have seen many people recommend benylin, cherry had it earlier this year and i took her to vets and she had antibiotics. think cost me about £40.

jensape Mon 15-Aug-11 19:19:30

Thanks for quick response! How long did it take her to get over it? I thought antibiotics were no good for kennel cough?

ditavonteesed Mon 15-Aug-11 20:00:24

sorry tyed out a responce but must have lost it.
it ony took cherry a coupe of days, i think that antibiotics only work if it is an infection, ie they have a temp, nearly every dog in my local park had it and most got over it very quickly, some people wne t to the vets and a few had just used benylin, You need to keep an eye for any signs of temp or mucus. also need to keep her away from other dogs as it spreads like mad, was a joke in the park that the vets must have been having a slow time so introduced it. I had cherry vaccinated against it although my friend also has the vaccine and her dog has had it twice despite this, think the vaccine only covers certain strains. bt like flu.
Anyway hope she is feeling better soon.

jensape Mon 15-Aug-11 20:16:12

My dog has had the symptoms for about a week now. I think I may give the vets a ring tomorrow. Thanks for you advice ditavonteesed. I also wondered though whether it could be hayfever? Can dogs get hayfever? ?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now