Talk

Advanced search

Dog Rolling in Poo - fox, rabbit, badger...........

(15 Posts)
ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Mon 15-Aug-11 16:02:15

I need help getting her to stop? My ofacaltory passages are assuaged daily, the water meter has gone into over drive and I have too much to do to continue washing the sodding dog AGAIN.

Please help me grin

Shitter Mon 15-Aug-11 16:03:54

grin i have exactly the same issue. Oooh the stench. I feel your pain. I hose after.

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Mon 15-Aug-11 16:24:30

someone must be able to help usgrin it is driving me nutso!

Happymm Mon 15-Aug-11 16:26:13

Apt name shitter grin

Happymm Mon 15-Aug-11 16:26:39

Sorry, that wasn't helpful was it blush

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Mon 15-Aug-11 17:07:15

No Happymm, we want hints not name comments grin

wildfig Mon 15-Aug-11 22:01:29

You cannot stop them; it's the canine equivalent of Selfridges' perfume hall. [face of bitter experience emoticon] After a while, your own nose gets more sensitive to where there might be tempting deposits - I keep my rollier dog on a shorter lead, but it doesn't stop them working as a team. One hangs back annoyingly to distract me; the other makes free with the foxy stinkiness.

Pets at Home do a leave-in antibacterial mousse thing that you can squirt on; it deadens the smell a bit. A bit. Not enough.

[wishes someone would invent a disposable dog boiler suit for fox poo season]

follyfoot Mon 15-Aug-11 22:04:39

I dont think you can ever stop them, but tomato ketchup will remove the stain and the smell from their coat. Just rub some in then hose/shower it out.

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Mon 15-Aug-11 22:33:58

Right Tommy K it is then, also read on here that her smelling like the pack might work. DH's stinky clothes it is then. Doesn't help we have a fox running amok in our garden!

pointydog Mon 15-Aug-11 22:42:14

Some dogs have this as some in-bred instinct, do they not? Retrievers for example.

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Mon 15-Aug-11 22:52:33

She is a lab so hunting/ retrieving is in her blood, she is very much from "working" stock even though currently she doesn't do any official "working", but boy will she hunt and she has the most incredible nose, I am fascinated by her when we go for a walk and she sees a rabbit - she is sneaky and fast - although hasn't fortunately managed to get one that hasn't been first attacked by the cat!

walkersmum Tue 16-Aug-11 18:15:14

I have 7 dogs and 2 of them roll in fox poo, the others don't. to get rid of the smell, as follyfoot says, rub tomato ketchup on the dog, leave for 10 minutes or so (dog kept outside of course) and then shampoo off. Works a treat, doesn't stop them doing it but does get rid of the smell.

TarquinGyrfalcon Tue 16-Aug-11 18:33:59

I think if they are prone to rolling it is almost impossible to stop them if they are off lead.

Our late lamented JRT was a roller of epic proportions. DH and I still reminise about the dayofsixshowers - the funny thing was every time he popped back in through the cat flap covered in ooozing slime he knew he would have to have a shower but it didn't deter him.

Luckily our current dogs are not rollers.

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Tue 16-Aug-11 20:24:12

Grimneses we have had a day of 2 showers - and then into the run to dry off!

aquos Tue 16-Aug-11 20:30:39

My dog hates being washed. I am waiting for him to equate rolling in fox pooh with having to be showered. So far I've been waiting 8 years, I hope he catches on soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now