Talk

Advanced search

my poor dog

(15 Posts)
mskatemc Sun 14-Aug-11 22:24:48

Hello, have recently joined mn and realised you had a dog owner page.

My amazing BW&T Jack Russell (4ish, from Battersea) is currently in the doggy hospital and I am beside myself with worry. He was diagnosed with endocardiosis earlier in the year after a heart murmur was spotted and has been on heart medication. At his three month check up we were told that the heart meds were working really well and his blood test came back normal. However his protein (albumin) level was a bit low and he had lost weight (almost a kilo, down to 7.6). A new blood test was booked in but in the mean time he went downhill very fast and went from the lively, joyful, scavenging dog we know to a silent, still one who refused all food.

I was due to go on holiday on Friday (Ireland to see pils) but dh went alone and I took Fred back to the vet. He was admitted and put on a drip; the following day he went downhill again (heartrate 48) but picked up a bit after a protein transfusion. They have scanned but found nothing conclusive.

The vet has been great and we have spoken to him and other staff several times a day and visited when allowed (I got a small wag and a lick). He is perkier today but basically they are trying to get him well enough to do some more invasive diagnostics - at this stage they said he would not survive sedation.

So currently we are waiting until tomorrow to see if this can be done and then we will know whether it is something treatable. Or not.

I know there is nothing any of you can do but I don't know many dog owners and just feeling that someone out there understands will help.

Rhinestone Mon 15-Aug-11 02:32:33

So sorry, it must be heartbreaking for you. I know there's nothing anyone can say to you to make you feel better but from your post it's obvious that Fred is very much loved and you rescued him too, so that's even more you've done for him.

You've given him a lovely life so far and everyone on here will hope Fred has many more years ahead of him. But whatever happens, Fred is one little dog who's experienced the love and the life that every dog deserves. He needs you now more than ever and if that awful time has come then you should know that you are doing everything you could possibly do and you know you'll do what's best for him.

Lots of love and wags to you both from me and my Rhinedog.

NunTheWiser Mon 15-Aug-11 04:32:31

sad
Fingers crossed that your boy perks up soon. It sounds like you are doing absolutely everything you can for him. Let us know how you get on.

LottieJenkins Mon 15-Aug-11 05:17:04

Sending you hugs xx {{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}

mskatemc Mon 15-Aug-11 10:00:54

Thanks for your kind words. Finding it very difficult to be in the house without him and not know whether he will ever come home. More than that I hate the thought that he thinks we've sent him away. Bedtimes and mornings are the worst.

Waiting for the vet to call and update us, pretty terrified but hoping against hope for good news.

He is my first dog, we haven't even had him for two years but he is so much a part of our family and our lives. He has given us such joy and has certainly kept us on our toes. Just want him to come back and start causing mischief again!

Ephiny Mon 15-Aug-11 13:19:58

Poor boy, I really hope you have some news soon, the waiting must be awful.

I know what you mean about worrying he thinks you've sent him away, it's horrible to think of that especially for a rescue dog who's been abandoned in the past, and there's no way of explaining to them what's happening sad. I think the fact that you've been in to visit him, and he's been able to give you a sniff and a lick, will let him know that you're still around, that you'll always be there. Sounds like he's in the best place for him right now and being well cared for.

DogsBestFriend Mon 15-Aug-11 13:21:16

Hoping and praying for good news when the vet calls.

Hugs and positive thoughts to Fred, and to you too. xx

mskatemc Mon 15-Aug-11 19:41:46

Thanks for your lovely words of support. Tests came back negative for Addison's (which we were kind of hoping for as it is relatively easily treatable) and also for kidney disease, so the main options left seem to be spleen cancer or Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

He's still too weak for a biopsy to find out either way but after seeing him today we are more hopeful, he was very waggy, licky and even hungry, eating a bowl of food and some treats I brought (first time in a week).

I have seen a few negative things on here about Hill's but that is what the vets are feeding him - don't really want to interfere as they are doing such an amazing job but interested to know what you think.

Lastly, the insurance has reached its limit so we are on our own steam - we have started fundraising in case he does need an operation.

Sending lots of love to all of you xx

musicposy Tue 16-Aug-11 09:32:59

Oh, you poor thing and poor boy.
Sending lots of love and positive vibes that you get a good resolution. xx

Cheria Tue 16-Aug-11 16:39:05

Do you have an update on this?

mskatemc Tue 16-Aug-11 19:14:45

Hello, thanks again for all your thoughts.

Good news today: Fred has come home! The vet thought he would do better here and was strong enough to cope without his drip so we have his meds and are keeping a close eye on him. Poor boy looks like a pincushion from all the blood tests, injections and transfusions and has a very interesting haircut. We are surprised and delighted: after seeing him in his crate marked 'critical' and being told how low his vital signs dropped it seems like a miracle.

We have to take him back in for blood tests to check that he is maintaining his protein levels etc but he is eating again and (tmi I know) has had a normal poo for the first time in a week. The most likely scenario seems to be IBD and acute gastroenteritis as he has tested negative for everything else.

They still want to do a biopsy on his spleen but want to give him a week to recover, and the additional good news is that they class the anomalies there as an 'incidental finding' so both the biopsy and any further treatment would come under a new claim with our insurers. Fingers crossed it will come back negative and we can just concentrate on building up his strength again and taking care of his tummy.

It has been great to read the supportive messages here and I am very grateful. Hopefully I can soon regale you with tales of him being his usual naughty terrier self.

xxx

Ephiny Tue 16-Aug-11 19:54:18

Oh that's good to hear, must be nice for him being back home. Hoping for the best with the biopsy and everything.

Eating and pooing always a good sign, I think smile

musicposy Tue 16-Aug-11 23:37:04

So glad to hear he's doing better. Fingers crossed for his improved recovery - keep us posted. smile

Poo is never TMI on doghouse, you've come to the right place to talk about it grin

Cheria Wed 17-Aug-11 08:44:24

That's great news - thanks for the update

Rhinestone Wed 17-Aug-11 18:30:05

Lovely news, glad Fred is back in his loving home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now