Talk

Advanced search

My poor dogs have to go into kennels tonday

(11 Posts)
DooinMeCleanin Wed 10-Aug-11 14:54:56

sad

I'm not going untill tomorrow tea time. What will I do with no dogs? I'll have to steal one of my Dad's for the night.

It's my fault. I don't trust anyone to care for them properly while I am away. I trust the kennels I think. They are very good. My family have used them for over 20 years now, with all our dogs. You used to have to drag the Akita out of there he loved it so much hmm. He was a favourite and spoilt rotten there.

They will be okay won't they? There are no roads, they have enclosed exercise areas and are walked three times a day.

Last year when Devil Dog went there was a huge, huge storm. So they moved him into the barn, which is more closed in and heated. When it thundered one of staff stayed with him. He doesn't mind thunder.

thestringcheeseincident Wed 10-Aug-11 14:56:45

Oh they sound lovely. Your dogs will be fine.

We spoiled our dog with either a stay at grandparents or dog walkers when we're away, he would DIE if he went to a kennel. Pampered idiot.

DooinMeCleanin Wed 10-Aug-11 15:01:34

They can't stay at my parents. My mum is scared of Devil Dog. I'm not sure I trust my Dad with him. He is very, very good with his dogs, but we argue all the time over training techniques. He thinks Devil Dog lacks boundaries and discipline this might be slightly true, he is my baby. He also thinks I am neurotic wtr to recall and he would be fine off leash (he wouldn't be). He might let him off and not get him back.

thestringcheeseincident Wed 10-Aug-11 16:27:17

What breed is devil dog?

He sounds challenging fun.

DooinMeCleanin Wed 10-Aug-11 17:14:45

He is Fox Terrier/JRT x. So basically a mix of two very high energy terriers hmm

He'd love to be put to work, but I don't agree with Rabbiting or Ratting and wouldn't trust anyone with him anyway. I couldn't watch him tear apart live animals myself. My dad would like to take him, but he only gets out of the house with me.

Now we have sorted his aggression/desire to hump other dogs, he is to start obedience classes and then agility so that should keep his pea sized brain for a while grin

They've gone now sad. Whippy was distraught. They got there just in time for the evening walk.

coccyx Wed 10-Aug-11 17:20:56

they will be fine. Just back from getting our Dane from first time in kennels. They loved her, said she was model guest and can't wait for her to return. I was in tears when we left her.

CoffeeIsMyFriend Wed 10-Aug-11 20:24:11

oh dooin, I feel your pain. On Sunday my 2 are going into a small kennels. I know they are going to be fine, but still, I dont like it. I long for the days when my parents used to be able to come down and dog sit for us and we could go off on hols without a care in the world.

The ones we are using have only 6 kennels, all enclosed areas to play in and their own private woods for lovely long walks.

Jaynerae Thu 11-Aug-11 12:04:18

Had to put Beagle in Kennels last week, first time ever but she is a hardy dog, more interested in other dogs than humans unless humans have food of course! so I suspected she would be OK.

She had a ball - they let her out with other dog friendly dogs in the enclosed field, first time I phoned to see how she was they said "oh she's fine, but Crazy!" I laughed and said yes I know that!

I couldn't leave her with family of friends because she is very very destructive - we have to "Manage" her at home, and we accept the garden is destroyed, but have to crate her if leaving her for even 1 minute in the house.

She was there 10 days and has been catching up on sleep since we bought her home - day 3 and just getting back to her old ways - sigh - was hoping quite Beagle would remain with us, but no manic Beagle has returned.

Dooin - I know what you mean about not trusting other people with Devil Dog - I am Beagle's main carer and I am the one who takes her to training classes so it is me she listens to. DH is scared to let her off lead on his own as she doesn't always respond to his commands.

I am sure they will be fine - but you will miss them like mad!

TarquinGyrfalcon Thu 11-Aug-11 14:42:38

I'm sure they'll be fine.
Dog1 is a Fox Terrier/JRT difficult dog and when they went into kennels he had a whale of a time. Friends had offered to care for him but he is a challenging rescue dog and I just couldn't ask anyone else to put up with him!

Poor Dog2 who is more sensitive was very upset for the first few days sad when we picked them up and she came back into the house you could actually see the relief on her face.

The worst part was definately the few hours when we were still at home but they had gone into kennels, the house seemed empty.

Cheria Thu 11-Aug-11 15:54:00

I'm sure they'll be fine - you're really lucky to have good kennels nearby. You off on holiday? Have a lovely time!

CoffeeIsMyFriend Sun 14-Aug-11 06:59:46

my 2 are off to kennels today! I am certain they will have a ball - it is only a v small private family run boarding and they have private woods and everything. My friend uses them and I have been and they are good, but still I feel huge guilt at leaving my furry babies. sad

Off for a nice long walk in our woods before taking them later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now