Talk

Advanced search

Good dog rescues in Scotland - any recommendations??

(23 Posts)
PacificDogwood Tue 09-Aug-11 16:34:26

We are in the Central Belt, but of course prepared to travel (within reason).

I am really only just beginning to think about getting a dog; it is much more likely to happen when my youngest is a bit older and I have twisted DH's arm a bit more grin.

I thought I'd ask you knowledgable ladies as a friend asked my and other than our local place her and the big Dog's Trust along the road I came up with nothing.

Are there other rescues, private ones maybe, worthwhile considering??

TIA.

Scuttlebutter Tue 09-Aug-11 16:54:53

Very predictable blush but how about these ?

PacificDogwood Tue 09-Aug-11 20:54:39

Oh, thanks for the reply.

Yep, they are on the list smile.

'Many Tears' is mentioned so often here, I just wondered if there are any rescues like that around here.

I have wondered about Many Tears too, PD - I looked at the site once and saw all the pics of brown labrador bitches who had had numerous litters of puppies and had been handed to the rescue once their usefulness as puppy factories was over. These dogs looked twice as old as their actual ages, looked to be poorly cared-for, and had no light in their eyes at all. Then there were the pictures after they'd been with a foster family for a while, and they looked like different dogs - shiny coats, tails up and looking like they'd got a bounce in their step.

My heart went out to these dogs, whose life has been so different to that of our brown lab girl, and I would love to give one of them a home - if only Many Tears wasn't based so far away. sad

Bearskinwoolies Tue 09-Aug-11 21:09:42

Second Chance Kennels in Thornton, Fife. I've had two rescue dogs from them, and they are fab!

redlac6 Tue 09-Aug-11 21:12:16

I've heard good things about Dogs Trust in West Lothian. We got our collie cross from the local authority dog warden pound

PacificDogwood Tue 09-Aug-11 21:14:27

Oh thanks, more replies!

redlac6, how did you contact your local dog warden? Do local authorities not put dogs down that don't get reclaimed or is that a rumour? This would be another reason to consider them, as far as I am concerned.

LemonDifficult Tue 09-Aug-11 21:14:47

Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home in Seafield. No home visit, we left with our dog then and there. They liked the look of our jib.

I'm glad there was none of that we-don't-trust-you stuff.

GreenTeapot Tue 09-Aug-11 21:19:29

We-don't-trust-you stuff is a good sign that a rescue is responsible and thorough.

DAWGS in Aberdeen - not handy for you but they're am excellent organisation and if the right dog comes along, what's a few extra miles hey?!

Greyhounds are my top tip though. Wonderfully easy pets.

tabulahrasa Tue 09-Aug-11 21:20:00

Seafield don't homecheck, that's why you can just leave with a dog - they' also don't often have much background history and don't assess the dogs... So you leave that day with what might be a fantastic dog, or one that might have any number of issues.

Many tears had a really nice looking puppy in Lanarkshire, about 6 months old, housetrained, good with children and cats.

LemonDifficult Tue 09-Aug-11 21:22:25

Oh, yes, greyhounds are brilliant. My current is a greyhound cross, but next time will be rescued greyhound.

I think what Seafield could see was: OK, clean, educated type, her house is likely to be the same. Do we need to spend resources on a visit? Palpably not.

PacificDogwood Tue 09-Aug-11 21:23:13

tabulahrasa, really?! Linkie, per chance?

I am so up for a homecheck, no worries, but for us probably a young adult dog would be better. But my friend would love to have a look at the pup.

redlac6 Tue 09-Aug-11 21:27:25

Stirling Council has a webpage with pictures of the dogs in the pound. I think that they hold on to them for a good while then pass them to dogs trust. We didnt get any home visits but that was 10 years ago

tabulahrasa Tue 09-Aug-11 21:28:39

I'm on my phone so I can't do a link, I was trying to find him again but the websites not playing, lol

google many tears and look through them, but he was there when I looked on Sunday and there were two older dogs in Edinburgh as well

PacificDogwood Tue 09-Aug-11 21:34:05

Oh my, I've just had a quick look at Many Tear - so many dogs sad! And some of the stories would break a heart of stone...

I am going crosseyed looking at them - shame the site has no search option by location.

Anyway, thank you for all the ideas.
smile

PacificDogwood Tue 09-Aug-11 21:44:36

Gawd, shouldn't have started looking at Many Tears... <<yearns>>

Labradorlover Thu 11-Aug-11 20:18:22

Dog and cat home in Edinburgh also don't neuter....I suspect that although they are a charity, they also act as the pound. Please correct me if that's wrong. Have met utter fuckwits who were able to get a dog from them.

Geordieminx Thu 11-Aug-11 20:24:02

We got our kitty from Bothwell Bridge, they were good, made sure there was a week between us picking cat and actually taking him home. Not a fan of 'take home same day' as sometimes you need time to think about it properly.

Dogs trust at Ballieston is supposed to be good too.

GreenTeapot Thu 11-Aug-11 20:41:59

I got mine from Bothwell SSPCA nearly 8 years ago. It was huge, clean and they were quite particular. I got away without a homecheck or having her neutered but I was about to qualify as a vet so they let me off grin. I think all SSPCA centres have similar policies and IME are quite thorough.

PacificDogwood Thu 11-Aug-11 21:11:42

Oh, thanks all, I had been to the Bothwell Bridge SSPCA before, looking for small furry creatures. Glad to hear they seem ok as they are the obvious (local) choice for us.

I do not dare to go into the Dog's Trust one as I would almost certainly come out with half a dozen a dog grin.

Geordieminx Thu 11-Aug-11 21:52:39

awh

PacificDogwood Thu 11-Aug-11 22:07:45

You evil woman, geordie!

But yes, awwww! I just have to civilise my lot first, before I can consider throwing another living creature into the mix wink.

My friend lives near Aberfoyle, she is looking at Stirling shelters etc. I keep trying to lure her onto MN, alas.... she actually has a life grin

fledtoscotland Fri 12-Aug-11 23:33:12

I have had 3 SSPCA rescues now (Rocky is from Glasgow cat & dog home, Tallie was from Bothwell bridge and Buzz is from Milton). I have always found the staff attentive and caring. Rocky had to see the SSPCA vet as he was unwell within the 1st week but there was no problem there. They have all been neutered with them (got a voucher to arrange going back for neutering), were micro-chipped and vaccinated all included in the rehoming fee.

Dont get me wrong, it took several visits to find the right dog but the staff were able to point us in the direction of suitable ones and I firmly believe the dogs chose us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now