Talk

Advanced search

Should I take my dog to the vet? Or wait for symptoms?

(5 Posts)
Cheria Tue 09-Aug-11 09:14:38

My dog, like most golden retrievers, likes to hoover up any food which lands on the floor. This morning I dropped a jar of coffee (not glass fortunately) and the lid came off and coffee got everywhere. I was also carrying my baby so went to put her in her chair before clearing up the coffee.. by which time, of course, my golden had licked up a good fraction of what was dropped.

My questions to you are:

- Is he likely to be ill? If so should I wait for symptoms before taking him to the vet?
- Are all breeds that stupid of the eat everything in sight type, or is it a trait particular to the lab and retriever family?
- What's the weirdest thing your dog has ever eat and enjoyed / survived / coped remarkably well with?

Obviously the first question is the most pressing; the other two are just out of curiosity.

Thanks

SoupDragon Tue 09-Aug-11 09:16:33

I'd phone the vet and ask TBH.

Eglu Tue 09-Aug-11 09:19:19

Agree with SoupDragon. If you call the vets they will let you know if you need to go in.

Cheria Tue 09-Aug-11 09:26:46

Hi, thanks, just did. Vet said to take him in immediately if any symptoms at all, and gave me an appointment for late this afternoon in any case. Said most likely won't have eaten much so won't have anything wrong with him. It was decaf too so not as bad as full caf. I guess I'll just keep an eye on him. Hard to know how much he ate - the jar wasn't full, and there's still quite a lot left. There are however tongue marks on the tiles where he was licking so he definitely got a fair amount.

Cheria Tue 09-Aug-11 11:57:44

Well he's snored his way through the morning so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now