Talk

Advanced search

Grrrrrr- now I'm really angry

(22 Posts)
Lizcat Sat 06-Aug-11 13:39:39

I'm fed up with a few lazy useless owners giving the rest of us a bad name.
I live close to some playing fields that have a footpath all the way round them. Most of the users are responsible pick up poo etc, but over the school holidays things get much worse. You can all make your own judgements why. Anyway a few of us did a pooathon last weekend and collected up 13 carrier bags of poo with our spades.
Just as I am getting over my fed upness about this today I drive past a different playing field in our town again with a footpath round it and a fenced kids play area. Across the play area walked the stereotypical staff owner drinking a can of stella at 11am as his dog walked loose unobserved behind him. As I drove past I saw the dog squat poo and the owner kept on walking unaware of this. Now there are a whole load of parents who will rage at dog owners, because this useless individual was firstly too lazy to walk round the outside of the play area, secondly not paying any attention to his dog and finally even if he had seen the poo was probably to lazy and thoughtless to pick it up.
(Climbs of soap box and goes and has a cup of tea)

VirgoGrr Sat 06-Aug-11 13:46:45

And have a deep breath...grin You'll only get agreement here.

My local green square is not terribly big and is a combined dog walking area, football pitch and playarea. It gets a LOT of use and everyone has to co-operate, otherwise people get upset.

I challenge poo-leavers and will give out bags if necessary. Its unpleasant and hazardous. I dont get why the poo-leavers think that when they come the next day, the poo will have magically vanished? They are just as likely to stand in it as anyone else?

LordOfTheFlies Sat 06-Aug-11 14:01:07

YY- but you'll get aggro till your ears bleed for the stereotypical staff owner drinking a can of stella

I am a non-dog owner but have possession of 2 DCs so I am Grrrr at scraping sh*t off their shoes.

I did challenge a middle-ages bloke with a collie who walked through the fenced and gated childrens play area and allowed it to go.

I was told to fuck off!-

Lizcat Sat 06-Aug-11 14:01:11

I know, but I spend a large part of my days trying to educate people about owning their dogs and when I see something like this I just have to shout about it.

Lizcat Sat 06-Aug-11 14:03:03

Lordoftheflies the problem was this guy was what gives all other staff owners a bad name. I see many many excellent staff owners who are not like this.

LordOfTheFlies Sat 06-Aug-11 14:14:20

Lizcat I live in Romford- say know more.

I know most staffies are brilliant dogs (they are my 2nd favourite after greys).

Comment was Tongue-in-Cheek.blush grin I know there was a thread a while back where a similar comment was made about staff stereotype owners and the OP got verbally thrashed.

Lizcat Sat 06-Aug-11 14:17:58

Sorry to jump up as you can tell it's got me all worked up. Now relaxing as my mop cuddles up to me on the sofa being the fab loving dog he is.

MotherJack Sat 06-Aug-11 14:44:08

Not convinced that "hmm at the staffitude" constitutes a verbal thrashing, LOTF. I discuss the issue of anything that continues the negative press surrounding staffords is a measured way, as I did then <swigs from can of Stella> wink

LordOfTheFlies Sat 06-Aug-11 14:55:59

Ah MJ apologies, maybe verbal thrashing was OTT blush

I am not a dog owner but I think it's near criminal how the reputation of the SBT has been maligned by the Press and the minority of owners.

Bit like the Rotties a few years back with the spate of child attacks and all the bad press.

(Live in Romford, no staffy, no Stella either but I've got some Amaretto to make marzipan)

Lizcat Sat 06-Aug-11 14:56:12

I now feel I have to describe the gentlemen in detail:-
He was mid twenties about 5foot 11 very short light hair, he wore a black and white baseball cap pushed right back on his head, a white vest top and black jeans and he was drinking from a can of stella as he walked across the fenced children's playground at 11am with his staffordshire bull terrier who was not on a lead and defaecating behind him.

higgle Sat 06-Aug-11 15:09:52

Poor lovely staffy to have such a horrid owner! I noted the other day that the news reports of the child that was badly injured in a dog attack inside the dog owner's house did not make much mention of the fact the dog was a West Highland White.

Me and my staffy are now off ( with a pile of poo bags in a carrier) to do yoga in the fields, I shall be drinking mainly apple juice.

chickchickchicken Sat 06-Aug-11 15:17:57

completely agree with you about lazy dog owners not picking up poo. however, have to take issue with 'stereotypical staff owner' for the same reasons as MJ did in a previous thread. it would be such a shame if even one person was put off thinking about rehoming them due to people making comments like 'typical staff owner'. there are thousands of these lovely dogs desperate for homes and being pts every week due to lack of homes.

chickchickchicken Sat 06-Aug-11 15:18:45

higgle - grin at you and staff off to do yoga and drinking apple juice

chickchickchicken Sat 06-Aug-11 15:21:27

oops should have put a break in the sentence 'thousands needing homes' and 'pts every week' as i dont know how many of this particular breed are pts on a weekly basis

LordOfTheFlies Sat 06-Aug-11 15:25:25

If you say to a dog owner "Do you know a child can go blind if they get worms from dog-dirt in their system" it makes them think a bit.

It could happen to any child, even theirs.

Lizcat Sat 06-Aug-11 15:32:27

I say it multiple times every day. I think most of them think I am making it up to sell more wormers - do they really think that after the VAT is removed the tiny profit from the £4.30 to worm a 25kg dog is going to make me rich.

LordOfTheFlies Sat 06-Aug-11 15:43:07

Lizcat were you near enough to Mr Vest Man you say anything?

Iasked two young lads (about 12 & 14) to pick up after their dog when it performed on a very narrow track leading down to a beach.( The sort of track your DCs would tear down without looking because they could see the beach, so not looking for hazards).Dogs weren't allowed on the beach as it was high season.

Their reply? "It's not my dog. It's my mums dog" WTF!

Lizcat Sat 06-Aug-11 16:01:17

No I was in my car. I have to say my 7 year old understands how important it is to pick and is more than capable of picking up.

VirgoGrr Sat 06-Aug-11 16:11:38

I've had that a few times - kids take the dog out with them to play but wont have thought about clearing up after it and are embarassed by it.

I hand out the bags and tell them its not embarassing, it just needs doing if you're going to take the dog out with you. Dont know if that works at all - might mean the kid leaves the dog at home instead, which is not so good for the dog, but less poo on the park I guess.

MotherJack Sat 06-Aug-11 18:07:45

grin They usually do defaecate behind them, don't they?? grin.

In (semi-) seriousness, you could have said all that with the word "nob", Lizcat. Less refined and all that, but short and to the point. Nobs can own any dogs. I saw one with a Yorkie the other day..... now, I'm not one for stereotypes (if you haven't guessed) but it was a little incongruous grin.

How was the marzipan, LOTF? Not quite so refreshing as my Special Brew and Higgle's apple juice I'll bet wink

Not picking poo up is disgusting. And it is not just confined to nobbers, either. Where I live it is gun-dog land, with a scattering of other pedigrees and smart looking dogs lolloping about and the ratio of poo on the street/playing field and country footpaths (where you would frequently see children) to dogs is exactly the same as you would find in an urban area. People just think it doesn't matter and it is a national disgrace, really.

Scuttlebutter Sat 06-Aug-11 18:08:08

Lizcat, this I completely understand and sympathise, as it gives all dog owners a bad name, like the ones whose dogs are not under control and hassle/jump at other park users. When this happens, it's then completely understandable that Councils adopt draconian measures such as Dog Control Orders.

Ephiny Sun 07-Aug-11 13:28:04

I hate this too, it not only gives all of us a bad name but is the sort of thing that gets dogs banned from parks, beaches etc, and unnecessary restrictions put on all dog owners. Our local council seems to be getting more draconian about such things unfortunately, which is such a shame as the majority of owners are responsible and considerate and their dogs are no harm or nuisance to anyone.

I agree about the Staffie/owner stereotypes though, it's not helpful. I wonder if you would have bothered to mention the breed of the dog if it had been one considered 'nice'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now