Talk

Advanced search

Teeth chattering?

(10 Posts)
Empusa Thu 04-Aug-11 22:36:15

Anyone any experience of this?

Archie is currently chattering his teeth, is it a sign he's in pain? Or nervous?

chickchickchicken Thu 04-Aug-11 22:40:20

my oldie sometimes does this. if i wrap her in a blanket she will stop in about 30mins or so. i dont know why she does it. it isnt because it is cold. she just seems to need comfort for no apparent reason

with Archie being so unwell i am not sure if it can be a sign of pain or anxiety. hopefully someone will be along soon with more info

peeriebear Thu 04-Aug-11 22:42:15

My dog chatters his teeth when he's excited/anxious/focused, eg if he sees me going near a pair of shoes that might lead to a walk, or holding some food that may potentially end up being given to him.

Empusa Thu 04-Aug-11 23:17:48

We've managed to distract him with a bone. Seems to have worked for now.

At the time he started we weren't doing anything, weren't even looking at him. Then he whined really loudly and when we turned round his teeth were going sad

Scuttlebutter Thu 04-Aug-11 23:59:27

Our greys do this sometimes. It worried me to death the first time, then I found it's quite common. Usually it happens when they are relaxed or dozing (so that's a lot of the time for a grund!), and they will chatter their teeth for a few minutes. It just seems to stop naturally, so now I don't worry about it.

Empusa Fri 05-Aug-11 00:22:20

Thank you everyone.

I'm sure I'm like a broken record right now, just ridiculously worried. You are all a great support!

emptyshell Fri 05-Aug-11 07:05:03

Both mine do it - Nancy does it when she's doing something really exciting (so at the moment that's most things), the other guy tends to do it when he smells something awesome (so fox poo, rabbit poo, dog poo... spot the ongoing theme here?)

minimu11 Fri 05-Aug-11 09:00:54

Poor little Archie he is having a bad time. How has it been left at the vets?

Empusa Fri 05-Aug-11 10:53:56

Haha emptyshell!

minimu The rescue are trying to decide whether they can do an echo for him, otherwise we'll be going to our vet.

spiderlight Fri 05-Aug-11 23:29:35

Our springer goes through phases of chattering her teeth for no apparent reason and it's always when she's just coming off a course of steroids (she has recurrent SRMA). I remember someone posting on a dog forum about their dog chattering and he too had started doing it shortly after a course of steroids. Not sure if that's relevant at all though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now