Talk

Advanced search

Are we suitable dog owners?

(5 Posts)
belindarose Thu 04-Aug-11 11:47:50

Need to make a decision. We've been considering having a dog for a while. I've always wanted one (family always had dogs) but was not appropriate when working full time. Now I do 2 days a week and have a toddler.

A friend has a puppy in need of a home. Not doing this just to help her out, but maybe now is a good time for us as I have the rest of the school holidays before working two days again. There is a very reputable local dog walker who walks several dogs from out street, so could use her on my work days. We have a secure garden, DD kind to the cat, we walk a lot and are on easy reach of moors and beaches. Holidays are camping type ones, so future trips could be planned around dog.

Am I stupid?

Cheria Thu 04-Aug-11 14:07:41

Sounds great. If you're willing to train etc properly. What kind of dog will it be?

No, you're not stupid.

belindarose Thu 04-Aug-11 15:49:42

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It's a Springer boy. Yes, would be very keen to train properly. Would also retrieve the stairgates from the garage.

thestringcheeseincident Thu 04-Aug-11 15:56:43

I would think so.
Dog walker for the 2 days you work.
I'd go for it.

Rhinestone Fri 05-Aug-11 15:51:05

I would say yes. You already have a plan to manage those work days so go for it. Only thing I'd say is a springer and a puppy might need the dog walker to visit twice, not once, during the day. Or even three times depending on how old the pup is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now