Talk

Advanced search

Pugs!!!

(16 Posts)
scarlettlips Wed 03-Aug-11 21:42:39

Have been thinking about maybe getting a Pugs....but I need some convincing.

Not sure how I feel about the sniffing..but I have been well informed that they are great with children and you get 'used' to the sniffing.
Would love a spaniel (not sure I can deal with the madness of a spaniel, having grown up with them)

I know Pugs and Spaniels are very different grin so I need advice please.

Thank you.

scarlettlips Wed 03-Aug-11 21:44:00

Like Jack Russell's too..but not so great with small children.

Another option is a boarder terrier?

SpamSpamSpamSpam Wed 03-Aug-11 21:50:24

What about a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? Fantastic little breed, generally great temperaments, excellent family dogs and very trainable. Less manic than the cocker or springer. Although show type cockers are generally a bit more laid back but temperaments can be hit and miss in my experience.

With children, I'd probably favour the CKCS over a Pug but Pugs are a great little breed too and pretty robust for such a small dog. Very important with both breeds to find a good breeder who does all the appropriate health tests.

SpamSpamSpamSpam Wed 03-Aug-11 21:53:15

Oh, and if you're not sure about the 'madness' of a spaniel, I'd give the Border Terriers a swerve. Fantastic little dogs but they are still ALL terrier and can be a bit full on....require very careful training and even then will be likely to throw a deaf'un and go off hunting at any opportunity. Very different kettle of fish to spaniels and pugs indeed.

D0G Wed 03-Aug-11 21:55:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scarlettlips Wed 03-Aug-11 21:59:12

My dad keeps suggesting...dachshund. Saw a mini wire-hair one in the pub on Sunday..sweet but ickle!

winniethepug Wed 03-Aug-11 23:42:59

I have a pug (can you tell?) and she's honestly the best dog ive come across for babies/kids.
I have a 1 year old who has pestered her, played with her, whacked her & lay on her and she has never once growled or shown any sign of aggression. She just looks at him curiously and stalks off back to her bed. I host alot of mother groups and morning teas and I've lost count of the number of mothers who've commented on what a fantastic temperament she has with some very trying babies and toddlers.
I've had her since she was 12 weeks old from a fantastic breeder in Essex. Its really important to find a breeder who doesn't continue to breed Pugs with breathing problems or eye problems (both of which are very common). If you want further details such as things to look out for, the breeders contact details or just life with puggy send me a message.
Pugs have a beautiful temperament in general. They are loving, friendly, tactile, easy to train (if you get in early!) & aggression is virtually non-existant BUT are obsessed with food, shed hair and tend to spend a fair bit of time at the vet.

Tchootnika Thu 04-Aug-11 10:15:49

Pugs I know are all proper poppets, but I've some horrific stories about their health problems - often very painful - because of their being so overbred.

Joolyjoolyjoo Thu 04-Aug-11 10:17:53

Nice wee dogs, but agree, lots of health problems, so if you do get one insurance is a MUST!

scarlettlips Thu 04-Aug-11 11:30:47

Thank you all for your advice...very grateful.

Black pug with cream sofa's...mmmmm. Thank goodness for child gates?? grin

Winnie I have friends with a black pug called Winston aka Winnie...! Clearly a great name. If we go for it will PM you..thank you

It's tough, DH isn't a dog man so i will be my dog. And the last thing I want to do is pick the wrong breed and 6 months down the line it has to go. Still toying with the idea of maybe getting a small lab (bitch) but we'll have to see.

ditavonteesed Thu 04-Aug-11 12:23:38

the breeds you are thinking f make no sense, a pug is a companion dog, needs very little excercise and can have health issues, borders and jack russls are terriers, quite hard to train, stubborn as and need hours of excercise, labs are working dogs so may be a bit easier to train but are loads bigger and need tons of excercise.
I think the best thing is to work out what you want from a dog and what you can give it and take it from there. Ih have a border and she is fantastic gets about 2 hours wlaking a day plus obediance twice a week and occasional agility.
There are some good quiz things where you type in what your needs are and they tell you what breed of dog would suit your family.

scarlettlips Thu 04-Aug-11 16:27:24

Thank you for the advice. Have done a few quiz all the results where different. grin hmm

IMO a dog is a companion, regardless of size or breed!

ditavonteesed Thu 04-Aug-11 16:43:33

I am not saying that, all dogs are best friends. however they all have very different needs excercise and training wise.

ThePosieParker Thu 04-Aug-11 16:47:59

You can't get one for less than £1000 and be very careful when looking, lots of nasty scams out there,. Pugs are my favourite dogs and they are great with children, it's the ONLY dog I would have. The dogs wee a lot though, bitches are better.

ThePosieParker Thu 04-Aug-11 16:48:45

We had pugs when I was little, not so much time at the vet for us....unlike one of our Bulldogs.

Joolyjoolyjoo Thu 04-Aug-11 16:54:52

Agree with ditavonteesed- you should select a dog based on the character and needs of the breed rather than looks or even size (some small dogs need a lot more time and exercise than other big dogs!) Some dogs were developed to be huntimg dogs, some chasing dogs, some warning dogs and some companion dogs (ie they are not "for" anything else!!) All these differences really matter as they affect the day to day behaviour of the breed.

I get really frustrated with labrador owners moaning that their dog wants to jump into rivers and other waterways, or owners of warning dogs moaning that they bark (duh- they are warning you!) or owners of collies complaining that their dogs are chasing/ herding/ hyper- they need to work, somehow.

dita is right to say you should look carefully about what you want for a dog andjust what you can offer one before considering any breed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now