Talk

Advanced search

Would it be selfish of me and DP to get a dog, I worry that it would :(

(16 Posts)
noir Wed 03-Aug-11 19:35:26

DP and I have been together for nearly fives years and have lived together for pretty much the whole time. We're getting to that stage where we're bursting with love and need to offload some onto someone/ thing else!! Now, I don't want children (ever!) but we both agree we would love a small dog. DP has experience of keeping dogs and was brought up with them, I have had pets but never dogs.

We both work 37 hours per week and live in a small flat. We don't have outside space of our own but do live very close to a big public green space which is perfect for dog walking so they would get out daily plus more at the weekends. We earn good money so have also talked about employing a dog walker to get him or her out during the day if necessary.

Do you think it would be cruel of us to get a dog under such circumstances??

I would love a daschund or king charles spaniel, my boyfriend would like a lhasa apo or similar. If it is at all reasonable for us to have a dog would any of these breeds be suitable? I heard daschunds can be yappy and worry one might upset the neighbours if we're out all day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Im ready to be told it would be completely unfair of us to keep a dog.

noir Wed 03-Aug-11 19:36:43

*lhasa apso

minimu11 Wed 03-Aug-11 20:11:34

Sorry if you both work 37 hours it is not fair on the dog to be left that amount of time regularly - how about a cat?

daisydotandgertie Wed 03-Aug-11 20:17:43

Sorry - I don't think it would be fair to get a dog in your current circumstances. 37 hours every week is too long to leave a dog on its own.

chickensaregreen Wed 03-Aug-11 20:34:10

I use a dog sitter 2 days per week. I drop my dog off with her at 8 and pick her up at 5.30. You could look into that for your potential dog so that is has lots of company all day. My dog loves her sitter. Just like using a child minder really! A small dog in a flat would be no problem as long as you are willing to take it out a lot.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 03-Aug-11 20:43:06

yes, it would be selfish. Sorry...

Rhinestone Wed 03-Aug-11 20:53:01

Dogs need more than to simply get out daily. Dog will need to go out first thing in the morning and last thing at night - possible, but a lot more difficult if you're in a flat and don't have a back garden. Where could you take the dog first thing in the morning? And if you like lie-ins then forget it!

Plus don't even consider leaving the dog alone for 8 hours a day. Can you afford a dog walker and / or doggie day care?

What about when you go out / go on holiday? Vets bills etc?

I think you need to give it some more thought.

Tchootnika Wed 03-Aug-11 20:54:26

Almost certainly you're both out too much for a dog, unfortunately sad
You'd need to be around much more than that for a puppy - and probably for a newish older rescue, even if later on you were going to send it to a dog sitter, I think.
I do know people who send their dogs to dog sitters 5 days a week, and the dogs seem very happy, but I think this would need to be done quite gradually, with lots of time for the dog to settle in first.
Cats are lovely too, though.
Or dog walking for the Cinnamon Trust?

noir Wed 03-Aug-11 21:50:10

Thank you for your honest responses, this is exactly what I needed as like I said, I haven't much experience of looking after dogs (except for babysitting DP nana's Lhaso!).

Something will have to change before we can take our plans any further.

Def no cats, DP thinks they are the spawn of satan, and im allergic to them (which is kind of annoying as i LOVE cats).

Empusa Thu 04-Aug-11 20:23:18

I agree with the time. Being in a flat isn't too bad, as it's easy enough to get out on walks. But the time left alone just isn't fair on a dog.

There are many other animals who would be suitable, possibly something like rats. Usually very social (so will love cuddles), highly intelligent, and they will most likely sleep the whole time you are at work.

chickchickchicken Thu 04-Aug-11 20:38:29

www.cinnamon.org.uk/

www.papas.org.uk/ perhaps do some dog walking to help others until you have the time to commit to your own dog? i know papas have owners with dogs who would love for you to take dog out or even look after the dog for the weekend (depending on circumstances and you getting to know dog). i know of one dog with them who goes for sleepovers with his voluntary walkers. they get the enjoyment of having a dog part time, dog gets to have a great time, owner gets to worry less that ill health means the dog isnt getting enough exercise. win, win, win grin

BabyDubsEverywhere Thu 04-Aug-11 23:18:58

I going to recommend a pair of house rabbits, you can take them for walks onthe green still, bunnies are fab, and house ones are usually very friendly smile

noir Sat 06-Aug-11 13:31:04

Y'know I was thinking about that myself BabyDubs, I had a number of rabbits when I was younger and always wished my parents would let me keep house rabbits, a lady near us had one and he was just beautiful! Will see what DP thinks.

RockOnMrs Sat 06-Aug-11 13:40:43

Yes, house rabbits are the way to go - gorgeous things grin

Lizcat Sat 06-Aug-11 13:44:47

Rats or bunnies sound like a good choice. I have to admit we are fortunate enough to have too have two homes. Our main home has a lovely big garden and plenty of room for the mobile mop to run and play on a daily basis. Our second home is at the seaside, but it is a flat so we have wonderful long walks during the day on the sand. But and it's a big but we have to take him out night and morning, now this is okay for up to a week, however, day after day I think it would seriously remove a lot of the joy mop provides.

SilveryMoon Sat 06-Aug-11 13:52:19

I'd love to get a small dog, but like you we are in a flat with no outside access and I am about to return to work, so is a def no.
We already have a cat but I would also love to have rabbits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now