Talk

Advanced search

Eating out on holidays with dogs

(7 Posts)
Ormirian Wed 03-Aug-11 14:38:17

We are taking Harley to Pembrokeshire on holiday in a few weeks time. We usually eat out a few times when we are away - not usually anywhere formal, just pubs and cafes. We can't leave the Harlster in the house we are staying in, and won't leave him in the car, so are we going to be able to find anywhere he can come with us? I've tried 'dog-friendly Britain' but it only lists one pub a bit of a drive from where we are staying.

What do you do ?

Help!

PeelingmyselfofftheCeiling Wed 03-Aug-11 14:45:27

I'd be very surprised if most pubs in that kind of area aren't dog friendly, or semi dog-friendly either way - worth asking the proprietors or making a few phone calls beforehand?. I'd make sure you have enough warm clothes and maybe a picnic blanket (for you or Harley!) so you can eat in the pub garden if needs be in the evening ,take a chew toy if that will help him settle, and just chance it a bit!

Ormirian Wed 03-Aug-11 14:47:01

Yes, thanks. I suspect that pub gardens will be the answer. Will ahve to make sure we go earlier in the evening before it gets too cold!

i am just having worries about holidaying with dog - haven't done it for years and have got used to being able to go where we like.

exexpat Wed 03-Aug-11 14:56:41

Most pubs with gardens are OK with dogs in my experience - certainly the ones that don't allow them would be in the minority, so you should be OK as long as the weather is fine....

When we've occasionally been caught out by sudden rain during a pub meal with the dog and we've had to move inside without him, we've just had to resort to leaving him in the car, parked as close as possible, and checking on him regularly - but best not to do that, as you do hear of horror stories about dogs being stolen from cars.

Have you checked out restrictions on beaches? Wales is better than Cornwall, I think, but some beaches may not allow dogs in the summer.

Ormirian Wed 03-Aug-11 15:09:31

Thanks exex - I ahve checked out beach-dog situation and it looks fine. Most of them allow dogs on at least part of the beacj.

chickchickchicken Thu 04-Aug-11 18:52:12

we have been holidaying with out dogs in pembs for the last 13yrs or so. it is very dog friendly. in general the smaller towns are more dog friendly. most beaches allow dogs (with the exception of tenby). if you want to say, or pm me, whereabouts in pembs you are going i may be able to give more specific advice

chickchickchicken Thu 04-Aug-11 18:52:38

our dogs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now