Talk

Advanced search

DH considering allowing another dog, which one?

(4 Posts)
lisad123 Tue 02-Aug-11 23:04:14

Ok we are moving soon to a new area and likely in the middle of nowhere or a very quiet village. For 3 months dh will be gone monday-friday until his finished his notice period.
We have a large labradoddle who sound very scarcy when he barks but is as soft as anything. I think I will feel safer if i had 2 dogs and dh said we can discuss it. I would consider an older dog this time round, but we have 2 young children and a doddle, so would anyone recommend a certain type? Is it better to get a dog younger than mone or older?
I prefer med to large dogs

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 02-Aug-11 23:09:32

I'm not sure it matters, tbh. I have seen the most unlikely combo's of doggy friends over the years! If you go to a good rescue, they will try to match a dog to your family and your dog ( like a matchdog.com grin) and will often encourage you to bring your dog to meet prospective new dogs at some point, as they will want to be sure that you have a workable combo, so I would say this is a good route to go down, although the process, if done properly, can take some time. Definitely better than just getting a dog you think will fit. Good luck in your search!

hatwoman Tue 02-Aug-11 23:10:14

not sure about the age thing - but in terms of breed I'd go for a lab, another doodle, or, if you're a keen walker and have the time, a pointer. or an Italian spinone (if you can find one).

lisad123 Tue 02-Aug-11 23:16:25

lol thats what Thornton gets mistaken for a spinone. I dont mind walking at all. Good to know the rescues will do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now