Talk

Advanced search

Good news and bad news

(16 Posts)
DogsBestFriend Tue 02-Aug-11 22:49:20

At the rescue, internet reception is crud but am reporting back:

Good news:

I'm covered in shit and mud here at the rescue and as happy as Larry despite it! I took younger GSD out on walk organised by the training club used by the rescue on Sunday... he was a STAR! Off lead in th countriside, no trouble to anyone, 100% recall, good as gold with the hoards of other dogs, back on the training site field and made LOADS of canine and human friends, not put a paw wrong, even had a go at agility for the first time and made me proud.

Bad news - a much respected friend who runs a city rescue, who takes almost only problem dogs who would otherwise die and who has rehabilitated and saved loads was visited by police last week. This young man has worked wonders on dogs anyone else would have given up on and killed, his commitment and care is unbelievable and his dedication awe-inspiring. He has a very strong no kill policy and would never kill a dog or allow a dog to die just because that dog has become what man has made him or her, knowing that with hard work and dedication he can turn that dog around.

He was told by the police that because 7 of his dogs LOOKED "type" he could either have them impounded for a year or two minimum whilst legal wheels got in motion, then fight a court case where he would have to prove that the dogs are not "type" rather than the prosecution have to prove him guilty (unlike most laws where the prosecution has to prove guilt) or he could deal with the issue himself.

If he fought the law he would not be allowed to see the dogs he'd saved and cared for as the regs don't allow the owner/rescuer any contact with the dog/s or knowledge of where they are. They would be kept in a secret council pound without human interaction and their basic needs would be provided without them coming into contact with humans - so food provision, bedding changs etc would be carried out whilst they were away from the human providing it.

They would assessed but being stressed, scared, most if not all having been abused and definitely all not having any human contact once taken from my friend and being placed in council kennels would without doubt fail that assessment. My rescuer friend would have to fund a thousands of pounds court case (money he doesn't have, who does?) and the dogs would be PTS anyway having failed assessment at the end of it.

So he decided that rather than submit the dogs to years in council kennels where we KNOW that dogs in this position have in the past been badly treated, only to have them killed on foot of a court order at the end of it, the only thing he could do to prevent that suffering would be to take them to the vet and have them put to sleep.

That poor young man is in pieces... seven of his beloved rescued dogs dead because some bastard reported them to the police as "type".

My heart aches for him and for those dogs... and for the person who reported them I can only say that karma will get them in the end. sad

RIP those dogs failed by man...... and god my heart aches for my lovely, kind, dedicated rescue friend tonight. The man's almost suicidal, wracked with guilt... but the blood is NOT on his hands.

OneHundredPercentFucked Tue 02-Aug-11 22:52:17

I thought it was because they were apparently 'aggressive' and nothing to do with type.

Podge, for example looked nothing like type.

Sorry if I have that totally wrong.

OneHundredPercentFucked Tue 02-Aug-11 22:56:32

Are you V btw?

<waves if so>

Scuttlebutter Tue 02-Aug-11 22:59:48

Without knowing the details of this case, it flags up yet again though that the say so of a policeman can be the death sentence for a dog. I understand completely the perspective of the rescue bloke - who on earth would want to put a dog through a year or more of solitary in some bloody awful pound? Especially when there is a pretty much guaranteed death sentence at the end.

I think there is a lot of work ahead for us on this issue - the long term answer is the repeal of the DDA - definitely one of the worst drafted pieces of legislation ever.

This is just so distressing and upsetting though - my sympathies to your friend.

And glad you are having a good, restorative time at the rescue.

OneHundredPercentFucked Tue 02-Aug-11 23:05:42

This from someone who works very closely with said rescue, she put this on her fb page....

Thank you so much for your kind messages. Its a really shit time at the moment and we are still getting our heads around it. I just want to clear something up:the dogs were not seized. They are kennel aggressive and likely to bite through fear with strangers therefore we were allowed to take them to our vets to be pts rather than them going to police kennels and being killed by strangers...which definitely would have happened had the police attempted to take them. Most of the dogs we take are kennel aggressive and to send them back to kennels to be deemed as dangerous, when they are only acting out of fear, is something we are not prepared to put them through. There will be no section 1 charge, they were viewed by the police, we co-operated with the police and the decision was made that for their own dignity they should die with us. As for the non types- the RSPCA instructed us to pts overly aggressive dogs and it was the vets recommendation that Podge and Brandy be pts due to recent bites to humans. The vet suggested that Podge's condition had worsened and this was what was causing him to be un-predictable.

DogsBestFriend Tue 02-Aug-11 23:12:13

Yes I am V OneHundred smile

I've come into this late, the rescue I'm staying at told me about it only last night. Reading a few messages from R I was led to believe that the reason that the dogs were flagged up was thanks to some bastard alerting the authorities that they might be type but that they had also come to R with issues.

Apologies if I'm mistaken, as I said I'm late catching up with this news but whatever way it is, it's wrong.

(PS I'm wondering, given you know the situation, whether we "know" each other outside of MN smile ).

DogsBestFriend Tue 02-Aug-11 23:15:52

I'm told too that there were allegations of neglect but as R said, if he was guilty of it why the fuck hasn't he been arrested?!

Haven't yet seen the post that you've just put up, "OneHundred but I'll put a pound to a penny on it that the writer's a woman and that her name begins with "A". wink

OneHundredPercentFucked Tue 02-Aug-11 23:19:56

We have chatted before on here smile

I'm also a 'helper' on a site you used to be on, but think you left before I joined.

And yes, female and A!!!

OneHundredPercentFucked Tue 02-Aug-11 23:32:27

When you see her profile you will see me!

DogsBestFriend Wed 03-Aug-11 08:53:46

smile

chickchickchicken Wed 03-Aug-11 09:05:05

i hope he will eventually get some comfort from knowing he made the decision that was heartbreaking for him but better for the dogs than the awful alternative of being taken away

kid Wed 03-Aug-11 09:18:38

I have a horrible feeling in my chest and tears in my eyes just reading this news. That poor man at the rescue, what an awful decision he was forced to make. My heart really does ache for him. He did what was best for those dogs as who would willingly let any dog suffer?

I strongly believe in karma and whoever made the decision to get those dogs removed and killed will get what they deserve at some point.

kid Wed 03-Aug-11 09:19:59

DBF glad you are having a good time and its great to hear gsd had a good walk and was well behaved for you smile

MotherJack Wed 03-Aug-11 09:31:03

This is hearbreaking, DBF. Bloody BSL. It has so much to answer for angry

Ephiny Wed 03-Aug-11 13:06:38

This is just awful and heartbreaking and so absolutely wrong.

Poor dogs sad how were they a danger to anyone if they were safe in your friend's care? It sounds like he made the only decision he could in the cirumstances, but what an awful choice to have to make.

The law as it stands is a disgrace. No justice, no rights, no compassion for dogs whose only crime has been to look 'wrong' and to have had the misfortune to be abused or neglected by the people who were supposed to care for them angry.

OneHundredPercentFucked Wed 03-Aug-11 13:07:51

This from the rescue, thought I should share sad

Due to recent events we are closing our doors for the foreseeable future.
We have lost 7 of our furkids, our hearts are broken and we need time to get over what has happened.
We are under police watch and cannot take any dog with considerable aggression issues as this would only endanger their lives by being here and risking being seized by the police. If anybody would like to ask us further about this please feel free.. do not listen to rumours, simply ask and we will tell you the truth, we have nothing to hide.

We also have vet bills and kennel bills that need to be paid off and with having so many emotions to deal with we simply cannot focus on what is needed.

We are trying to concentrate on our remaining dogs and hope to get them all into good forever homes asap.

We apologise for this but we need time to get our heads around what has happened.

Thank you to all those who have supported us over this past week, times are really hard at the moment and we appreciate your kind thoughts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now