Talk

Advanced search

Dog-proofing the fences

(9 Posts)
Elibean Tue 02-Aug-11 20:35:10

THe fences around our garden are nice and high, but there are rotten bits at the bottom - gaps that even foxes can get through. We need to sort it out before starting looking for our family woofer in September...but there is no way we can replace the whole fence. There are huge shrubs on both sides, in most places, and the neighbour (who is quite odd, and already loathes us for having disturbed her peace with building work) would go nuts if we tried to change the fence at this point.

On one side, we've put in an 'inner' fence - like a lining - of hazel, which isn't particularly chew-proof but does block all gaps and holes. On the other side, we're thinking of nailing planks of wood across gaps.

If there isn't a space even a small dog can squeeze through (and we're thinking medium sized), will this pass muster? Or does it have to be stronger than that?

scartette Tue 02-Aug-11 22:41:26

The only problem with wood is it will begin to rot after a while. I live in Ireland where it is VERY wet so this wouldnt really be a good solution here but it may not be an issue where you live. We got a medium size dog 3 years ago and had this problem as we have a field at the back of the property with gaps where foxes etc can get through. We put in the electric dog fence thingy and I must say , it works brilliantly. It involves quite a bit of work to put it in but once in thats it. The trick is to bury the wire as well as you can in the ground as we found that wildlife were causing it to break at nightime. The dog got used to it immediately and wont go near the boundry now even when she doesnt wear the special collar. We also had a big problem as we are on a very busy main road so this works brilliantly for the front driveway also. I honestly cant recommend it highly enough. We got the 'Petsafe dog fence' (large dog) and bought it in uk/e bay for about 150 euro. It sells in the vets here for 330euro. It might not appeal to you but it works really well for us. The only other piece of advice I would give is DEFINITELY do the training dvd provided as this is really how the dog learns. Its not enough to just put it in and let the dog learn for itself-wont work as well. Sorry,this has got a bit long-winded.Good luck whatever you decide!

Scuttlebutter Tue 02-Aug-11 22:51:58

Elibean, without knowing where you are in the UK, thankfully shock collars as described above are illegal in Wales and the other UK administrations are beginning to consider their position on them. A dog owner was recently prosecuted in Wales as ironically, his dog (while wearing the collar) was found to be repeatedly straying. Please, please, please do not use this outdated, ineffective and barbaric method of containment.

Listening to your description of the fence, it does really depend on the dog. A gentle, non digging, non chasing dog might find what you've described absolutely fine and wouldn't try to get out. A busy terrier with mischief on its mind or one of our greyhounds after a cat would need something that was pretty solid all the way. The planks of wood nailed in place sound effective, but I'd be worried about the hazel twiggy things - a determined woof could get through that.

Elibean Tue 02-Aug-11 23:32:32

Thanks smile

No, no shock collars here - wouldn't cross my mind. I agree about the twiggy stuff (bit thicker than twigs, more like canes, but still bit pathetic to any serious burrower!).

Maybe we could nail planks behind twiggy fence across gaps in original fence, for extra security.

Am thinking gentle, non-digging, soppy family dog - but we all know the best laid plans etc! Also want to pass home check, as planning on rescue. Its been years since my last woofer, just want to get it right.

Elibean Tue 02-Aug-11 23:34:46

Not very damp, either - the fences that have got gaps in are probably as old as the house (1920s) so have really lasted pretty well. They do sag in places, wouldn't withstand any large dog repeatedly throwing themselves at it or trying to jump it, but wood isn't actually rotten.

No cats either side. Dubious neighbours yes, cats or other dogs no grin

Foxes, though, in abundance.

CointreauVersial Tue 02-Aug-11 23:36:52

The Scottie next door is constantly burrowing under the rotten fence between our properties, then dances around our garden scaring the rabbit senseless. Foxes also come to shit party on our lawn.

So I would love to know the answer to this one!

chickchickchicken Wed 03-Aug-11 08:52:32

my fence has rotten bits at the bottom. you cant see them as they are behind the laurels. i just nailed plywood across the bottom. i only knew they were rotted when i found my chicken - not my terriers - in next door's garden!

Elibean Wed 03-Aug-11 15:58:25

Right, will attempt nailed wood over all weak areas then!

Chickens made me laugh, chick, we have chickens at dds' school and they are constantly amazing me with their Houdini-like ability to escape fencing! I found one inside the compost heap the other day, under the (supposedly) chicken-proof cover...

I shall look for a nice, dim pooch with no desires to escape whatsoever grin

Jaynerae Mon 08-Aug-11 13:41:38

We have a Beagle who loves nothing more than ripping the privet hedge down or pulling at the ivy growing in from next door through the fence and consequently ripping the fence to bits. Wh have had to replace the fencing and then nail wire mesh over the top of the fence panels to stop her ripping new fence apart - it has worked.

We bought the wire mesh from B&Q - is that an option?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now