Talk

Advanced search

VAL? Anyone doggy orientated? BARKING

(5 Posts)
ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Sun 31-Jul-11 21:53:53

Hi all

I have a lovely year old dog who has an out door kennel (very nice, very cosy, checked with vet friend who said it was good choice etc etc - good run, cosy bed........)
She was inside but was very unhappy, so we have butchered our garage so that she has half of that inside and then a lovely outside run. When inside she was chewing everything, and I mean everything from the wall, flooring, anything in the room, skirting board, washing machine............now she is barking. She is in the run when I feed the children, when going to pick them up to and from nursery, if out for the day - she is happier this way believe me, otherwise she is with me (unless having rolled in something particularly smelly! where she might not come into the house as often as she would like smile)

So hints on how to stop the barking as we are starting to get a few complaints comments from neighbours. What do I do to help the situation, will take it all on board grin

midori1999 Sun 31-Jul-11 22:02:17

It sounds to me like the chewing has changed to barking. No dog is really going to be happy shut out in a kennel alone, they like company.

How much exercise is the dog getting, how old is it, breed etc?

minimu11 Sun 31-Jul-11 22:21:22

I agree with Midori the dog has just changed her stress reliever from chewing to barking.

What is she fed
How often is she put in her run and for how long
How much off lead exercise does she get
How much daily training does she get

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Sun 31-Jul-11 22:23:12

Hi Midori, I thought that too, we just can't get a friend for her smile at the moment. She gets 2 longish walks a day, morning and night, she is between 12-18 months and is a lab. She loves her kennel, really loves it, will run to it if outside jumping around like a looney (I know this is love as it is the same reaction as she has when she sees the lead for a walk - total excitement grin) I also think she has swapped chewing for barking (with my degree in dog psychology of course hmm grin) but am not sure how I can stop her from being bored, would be happy with her being inside but the barking is beginning to irritate others. My issue is that I am about to go back to work and I don't want her to be unhappy and worry about her, and don't want to take her into work with me as she would just be in the car so the lesser of two evils is own comfy space with tosy but I do need to try and stop the barking!

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Sun 31-Jul-11 22:30:08

Sorry didn't see your post minimuu
Right so she does training of about 30-60 mins, she is off lead for as long as possible during the day (4 hours + just depends on our day as not always possible to take her with us to things!) in the not small garden, when we are at home she is in the house with us with the door open. I would prefer to do more training but I am finding it increasingly hard with 11 mo ds who is really moving around. I want to find a solution that works for everyone, I appreciate that she will bark when people walk past, but I don't want her to be unhappy sad but going back to work is not possible to delay. I know that we should have thought harder about getting her, but she didn't have a home and wasn't wanted and I thought I was doing a good thing - am not so sure anymore sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now