Talk

Advanced search

dog not eating :(

(5 Posts)
kid Sat 30-Jul-11 15:40:28

My dog (13 months) seems to have gone off his (dry) food for the last couple of days. He had one bout of diarrhoea on Friday morning and hasn't eaten much since. But, he is his usual self, full of energy and drinking water. He is eating some food but not much. I don't leave the food out all day, I will leave it a few hours before removing it and then replace it at his next meal time. He is quite a fussy eater and I have had to change his food several times over the past year.

He also seems to be losing loads of hair since yesterday, but that coincides with him having a bath (diarrhoea on his legs!)

He is due to go vets but not for a couple of weeks for his booster. I am also going on holiday in a couple of weeks and he is booked to stay with a boarder.
Any suggestions of what I could or should do?
He is not skinny and doesn't look like he is losing any weight. I don't know if its best to ignore it and assume he will start eating soon or should I change his food or take him vets?
TIA

Could it be the heat? My parent's springer spaniel tends to go off his food when it's warm.

I would maybe ring the vet and have a chat with them if he is alright in his self and drinking.

kid Sat 30-Jul-11 16:17:22

If he was acting ill, I would have taken him to the vets without hesitation but its his usual behaviour that is confusing me!

It could be the heat causing his lack of appetite. I guess the heat won't last long so he should be back to eating everything in sight soon!

MotherJack Sat 30-Jul-11 16:22:48

They can go off food in hotter weather, but I'm not sure it results in them having diarrhoea. They can certainly seem to lose loads of hair for a couple of days after having a bath though!

I wouldn't change his food - that could make him have diarrhoea. If I were you, I would just keep an eye on him for a few days. If the (can't be arsed to think about spelling the D word anymore grin) sloppy poo doesn't improve, I would take him to the vet well in advance of your holiday to get him looked at rather than leaving it until the last minute when he is having his boosters. Knowing he is ok will probably help you to have a better holiday smile

kid Sat 30-Jul-11 16:39:51

he didn't have the runs (can't really spell the d work either grin) this morning so its not a continous thing.
I have spoken to the vets in the past about his fussy eating. The vet said I can either give in to him and offer him lots of food, or give him what I want him to eat and he'll eat it eventually. I like that latter option.

I will call the vets this week anyway about his booster and mention him not eating and see what they say.
I also need to sort out his insurance which is due to run out while I am on holiday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now