Talk

Advanced search

neighbours dog

(4 Posts)
IsSamNormansDad Fri 29-Jul-11 23:59:23

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a wee bit of advice. One of my neighbours (2 doors up) has a small terrier type dog (I'm not a big dog lover, not sure of breed) and although her garden is securely fenced, she often leaves the gate open and the dog can escape.
The dog frequently comes into our garden through a gap under our fence, as if its not raining DS (3.6) will often be playing out. Sometimes DD (19weeks) is out there too, either in the popup tent or her bouncy chair (obviously when she is out, I am out).
On a few occasions now, the dog has knocked DS over, he is not especially bothered, but I am. The neighbour in question always says 'Oh he's just being friendly, he won't bite.'
I don't want to create bad blood with our neighbour, but I really do not want this dog in our garden - I know very few dogs are vicious, but I am concerned that I have 2 small children who should be able to play in their own garden without being knocked over (well only 1 atm).
Would it be considered rude if I went and asked neighbour to ensure her dog is secure in her garden?
Sorry for epic post, and thanks for reading this far.

chickchickchicken Sat 30-Jul-11 00:15:17

not rude at all to ask her to keep her dog in her own garden. i have 3 dogs and wouldnt dream of letting them out unsupervised. its irresponsible of her to leave gate open, for the dog's own safety as well as not to inconvenience or upset neighbours

DogsBestFriend Sat 30-Jul-11 00:43:25

Not rude at all, just sensible and responsible. If she doesn't take heed spak to your dog warden and ask them to have a word.

slinkyboo Sat 30-Jul-11 07:24:30

Definitely not rude in the slightest. My puppy knocked over a child yesterday and I was MORTIFIED. Yes he was 'just being friendly' but I wouldn't dream of being complacent about it...dogs should be controlled (and I love dogs!). You could say that your son is frightened of going in the garden, as he's been knocked over, so could she please make sure her dog does not get out.

I would also stop up the gap in the fence, just to be sure...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now