Talk

Advanced search

Hole digging in the lawn,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

(6 Posts)
lottiejenkins Thu 28-Jul-11 15:45:48

Bumble is digging ENORMOUS holes in my lawn...........angry One is about two feet deep and the other about a foot. I have pulled him out and smacked him to no avail. I have put pepper in the second hole to no affect. I read somewhere that i should put his poo in the holes but that sounds beyond awful!! Advice please!!

Howdoesjuliancope Thu 28-Jul-11 17:48:37

I'm afraid I finally resorted to the poo - teeny tiny bit in the hole, then filled in with soil. She sniffed each hole and then left them alone, and hasn't dug another (yet). I tried lots of other things first - water pistol etc - but none of them worked. It did feel wrong at the time, but I've got a nice lawn again!

CoffeeIsMyFriend Thu 28-Jul-11 17:51:08

OK, firstly do NOT smack him. It makes no difference to behaviour in a positive respect, you may get bitten though.

I do sympathise as my beautiful back garden now resembles the moon, complete with varied depth craters and not a lot of grass! angry

They grow out of it... so 'they' say.

Is your dog getting enough exercise? Not just physical, but mental exercise? I am not sure what else to suggest as my dogs dont dig now but they do play a game where they move toys around the holes to outwit each other. grin

I am in the process of getting my garden done and I will be creating a dog zone where they can go and nowhere else. It is not like they are not busy animals because they bloomin' are.

AandK Mon 01-Aug-11 11:49:53

I don't think they grow out of it my 5 yo dog still digs. I made them all a cheap sandpit and praised them for digging in there and told them off when tried digginf elsewhere.

They all love it. I have 3 dogs all like to dig. I even bury some of their toys in it for them to find. Like I say they love it Xx

Avantia Mon 01-Aug-11 16:29:54

Saw 'hole digging dog problem ' on Victoria Stilwell programme the other day.

She made it a sand pit too problem solved .

Our lab is a year old now and when very young dug three holes in garden - hasn't done it for a while - our lawn is also used as a football pitch , so no nice lawn for me for a few years !

lottiejenkins Mon 01-Aug-11 22:30:36

Thanks for your replies...........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now