Talk

Advanced search

Hole digging in the lawn,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

(6 Posts)
lottiejenkins Thu 28-Jul-11 15:45:48

Bumble is digging ENORMOUS holes in my lawn...........angry One is about two feet deep and the other about a foot. I have pulled him out and smacked him to no avail. I have put pepper in the second hole to no affect. I read somewhere that i should put his poo in the holes but that sounds beyond awful!! Advice please!!

Howdoesjuliancope Thu 28-Jul-11 17:48:37

I'm afraid I finally resorted to the poo - teeny tiny bit in the hole, then filled in with soil. She sniffed each hole and then left them alone, and hasn't dug another (yet). I tried lots of other things first - water pistol etc - but none of them worked. It did feel wrong at the time, but I've got a nice lawn again!

CoffeeIsMyFriend Thu 28-Jul-11 17:51:08

OK, firstly do NOT smack him. It makes no difference to behaviour in a positive respect, you may get bitten though.

I do sympathise as my beautiful back garden now resembles the moon, complete with varied depth craters and not a lot of grass! angry

They grow out of it... so 'they' say.

Is your dog getting enough exercise? Not just physical, but mental exercise? I am not sure what else to suggest as my dogs dont dig now but they do play a game where they move toys around the holes to outwit each other. grin

I am in the process of getting my garden done and I will be creating a dog zone where they can go and nowhere else. It is not like they are not busy animals because they bloomin' are.

AandK Mon 01-Aug-11 11:49:53

I don't think they grow out of it my 5 yo dog still digs. I made them all a cheap sandpit and praised them for digging in there and told them off when tried digginf elsewhere.

They all love it. I have 3 dogs all like to dig. I even bury some of their toys in it for them to find. Like I say they love it Xx

Avantia Mon 01-Aug-11 16:29:54

Saw 'hole digging dog problem ' on Victoria Stilwell programme the other day.

She made it a sand pit too problem solved .

Our lab is a year old now and when very young dug three holes in garden - hasn't done it for a while - our lawn is also used as a football pitch , so no nice lawn for me for a few years !

lottiejenkins Mon 01-Aug-11 22:30:36

Thanks for your replies...........

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: