Talk

Advanced search

Childhood dog and best friend PTS yesterday... hold my hand, I feel a bit of a wally

(23 Posts)
MackerelOfFact Wed 27-Jul-11 11:45:29

My mum called me yesterday to let me know that they'd had our 14-year-old yellow lab PTS yesterday morning. He suffered a fit and couldn't walk, so they vet came out and put him to sleep in his bed with my parents stroking him.

He had an amazing life, my parents 'Puppy Walked' him for the Guide Dogs for the Blind, and after failing to be placed successfully with an owner due to his nervous, soppy nature, he came back to live with us. He's been a huge part of my life ever since.

I can't stop crying. I've taken today off work, but silly things keep setting me off. I just burst into tears after logging onto my laptop - his name is my password.

He had a wonderful long life and was such a special boy. I haven't lived with him now for some time but he wouldn't leave me alone whenever I went home, constantly showering me with kisses and demands for walks, treats and strokes. Everyone loved him, even people that hated dogs. Neighbours and friends would queue up to take him for walks or look after him while my parents went away. He was so loved.

That's all really. I feel a bit silly as to anyone who didn't know him he was just a dog. But he wasn't, he was a dog-shaped person. smile

SerenaJoy Wed 27-Jul-11 11:54:07

Your lab sounds like a sweetheart. Don't feel silly - pets are part of the family and when they're not there any more it's heartbreaking.

((hugs)) to you at this horrible time.

MackerelOfFact Wed 27-Jul-11 12:06:33

Thank you. I think yesterday my overwhelming feeling was one of relief, that he'd passed away so quickly and peacefully and without suffering, and that there was no difficult decision to be made. But today it's sinking in a bit more and hitting me that my gorgeous boy has gone.

NunTheWiser Wed 27-Jul-11 12:07:05

You're not a wally and I'm so sorry.
FWIW, it sounds like your boy had the most wonderful life and left this world being a greatly loved friend. Can't ask for any more than that.
Loved the description "a dog-shaped person". UnWiseDog is exactly that too and I know that whenever her end comes, I will be devastated too.
Lots of love to you.

bumpybecky Wed 27-Jul-11 12:11:58

I'm so sorry. Don't worry about being silly, it's perfectly reasonable to be crying when you've lost a pet sad

We lost our dog in January and it was awful, but it does get easier in time. Be kind to yourself and don't worry about crying, better to let it out I think smile

DogsBestFriend Wed 27-Jul-11 12:46:08

It's not silly at all, you'd be lacking something special about you if you weren't upset.

In time you'll smile at happy memories. He was clearly a lovely and lucky dog.

MackerelOfFact Wed 27-Jul-11 18:22:46

Thanks ladies. I blubbed earlier when I went to the loo and used our toilet paper... it's that Andrex 'puppies on a roll' paper with little labrador shapes embossed in it. I know it's not really silly to be sad about losing my dog, but it's pretty bloody daft to be crying at the toilet roll. grin

spanky2 Wed 27-Jul-11 18:27:56

No it isn't. I cried at people saying hello to me when my cat was pts. I still miss her now and it was 2 1/2 years ago. I literally cried most of the time for a month. I would hide in the kitchen so the dcs wouldn't see me. Do not watch Marley and me. I cried at work when my goldfish died, so I'm probably not the most objective person to ask. Here is a big hug.

MackerelOfFact Wed 27-Jul-11 18:45:33

Oh god no, never watching Marley & Me again. My dog was called actually called Marley (and was a yellow lab with a MUCH better story than the book/film one) so far too close to home. I didn't watch it when it was on telly recently either because I knew it would cut too close to the bone with the inevitable.

Sigh. Well and truly outed myself to anyone IRL now but oh well.

QuietTiger Wed 27-Jul-11 18:52:41

There is no such thing as just a dog. Beloved family companion, yes. But just a dog, NO.

It's also absolutely not "bloody daft" to be grieving for the loss of a friend. In time, the tears will make way to smiles and you'll be able to think of him without crying. In the meantime, sod anyone else who says he was/is just a dog, and remember, to you, he isn't. And i'm sending big hugs too. smile

stinkyfluffycat Wed 27-Jul-11 18:54:15

Poor you. I already worry about how I'll cope without my beloved cats and they're only 3..
You're bound to feel miserable now but hopefully you'll be able to take consolation in the fact he had a happy, long life with a quick end. Have a good cry and let it all out, and some wine.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 27-Jul-11 18:55:30

I love labradors and I am so sorry yours has died sad.

I know I will be a wreck when my cat has to be pts especially as I cried when the hamster died. blush

stinkyfluffycat Wed 27-Jul-11 18:56:00

And if anyone says 'it was just a dog' they are a heartless twat.

TidyDancer Wed 27-Jul-11 19:01:49

I'm very sorry for your loss. sad

You are not silly at all, I've been where you are now and it sucks. Please try to remember you gave your lovely boy a wonderful life, and it sounds like he was very lucky indeed.

SecretNutellaFix Wed 27-Jul-11 19:17:54

Don't feel daft. I'm still a bit of a wreck now- 8 months down the line after my old girl was PTS. Talking about her to anyone but a dog owner who has made that choice makes me feel blush

As you say- he was a part of your family and your life. Most natural thing in the world to mourn him.

spanky2 Wed 27-Jul-11 19:30:23

I watched Marley and Me on the anniversary of my cat dying. Stupid. I cried alot.

anonymousbird Wed 27-Jul-11 19:36:55

You are NOT silly, you are sad, and oh goodness, understandably so.

Very very sorry to hear, but sounds like the end was as good as it could have been, in her own bed and with your parents there....

It's a really tough time for all of you and many here will sympathise.

Cry, if you need to, why shouldn't you?

coccyx Wed 27-Jul-11 19:52:46

You are mourning the passing of what sounds like a wonderful dog friend.
Thank you for giving him such a great life.
Cry as much as you need.

MackerelOfFact Wed 27-Jul-11 20:01:27

Thank you everyone, your kind words are making me well up. Give all your furry friends a little extra cuddle or treat tonight.

MotherJack Wed 27-Jul-11 20:18:49

Mackerel... sad

I had my dog pts on 10 September last year.... just shortly after putting his collar on him and getting his lead. I never expected what I turned around to see. It was all very sudden and I never had time to make a real decision either as it was pretty much taken from me.

I still cry for him. I am doing now I have read your story. Don;t feel ashamed at crying. You loved him. My new (old) furry friend will indeed have an extra squeeze tonight in memory of Marley. If it had to be done at all, I'm so glad that it was quick and your mum and dad were ther in his own home. It may be cold comfort now, but it won't always be cold.

xx

TidyDancer Wed 27-Jul-11 20:37:44

I will cuddle my JRT in memory of Marley.

Again, I am so sorry you are going through this. sad

MackerelOfFact Thu 28-Jul-11 07:46:47

MotherJack, it is a huge comfort to know that he would have felt so safe and loved as he slipped away. He just fell asleep in his bed surrounded by people he adored... isn't that what we all want?

Tidy, DPs childhood dog is a JRT. She's absolutely bonkers (total opposite to Marley!) but I love her and can't wait to see her again next month when we go to PILs! She will get an extra squeeze too.

doglover Thu 28-Jul-11 15:15:08

Hugs to you. Quite understand all your emotions. You're grieving for a beloved family member - be kind to yourself and give yourself time. It DOES get easier eventually. We are having to make the same decision as I type - probably tomorrow for our darling Harley - and can empathise with your every emotion. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now