Talk

Advanced search

How much does pet insurance cover?

(17 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Tue 26-Jul-11 11:54:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scuttlebutter Tue 26-Jul-11 12:15:23

Very few pet owners could afford a bill of several thousand pounds at short notice. It's impossible to answer your question precisely, since pet insurance depends on several variables. Age, sex and breed of the dog. Number of dogs covered. Particular requirements/risks. How much excess you are willing to pay. Whether you want lifetime cover for a condition or a capped amount. Personally, we have it for our three dogs - not only does it cover the important medical issues you've mentioned but also gives us protection for other legal costs - say if our dog caused an accident - another very important consideration these days when people will sue at the drop of a hat.

Have a look at some of the threads on here that regularly discuss pet insurance and also take a look at some of the price comparison websites for ideas/quotes.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 26-Jul-11 12:24:10

Some policies will only cover so much per illness. So if your dog gets a long term problem it will stop paying. Most insurers have different levels of insurance so if you go for the top one it will keep paying.

Excess is quite high, all my vet bills so far have been under the excess so never claimed. The only big bill I did have was for teeth and teeth aren't included so I couldn't claim then.

Scuttlebutter Tue 26-Jul-11 13:04:36

I think it's also worth noting that even if you have pet insurance you should be in a position to cover emergency vet fees, say if something happens to your pet on a weekend. Generally, you will be expected to pay up front and then you reclaim the money from the insurance company.

There are ways of budgeting for this - I think this is what credit cards are a Godsend for plus you may wish to build up a cushion of reserve money (say, about a thousand pounds) to cover emergencies and disasters. With pets, this may not just be medical - it could be an accident, destruction of furniture, carpet cleaning and so on. In the same way it's a good idea to have a general cushion for household emergencies, having a pet means these WILL happen more frequently, and you can guarantee they will do so when you least expect it and can least afford it.
Also, if your pet got lost, picked up by the DW and had to be released from the pound, the release fees can be surprisingly high. Because of the bonkers way local authorities work, you might very well be in a position of having to wait over a weekend to make payments and get authorisation to "release" your dog - you might be well over a £100 in that case, and most Councils don't offer payments by instalments or accept anything other than cash.

I would think long and hard about this issue since I can't imagine any thing worse than my pet needing vet care on hte weekend and not being able to afford it. We don't talk about money nearly enough in my view when we consider pet ownership - if you can't access, say, £500 to cover an emergency (whether that's via a CC or by savings) then I think you should reconsider pet ownership.

nojustificationneeded Tue 26-Jul-11 13:46:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scuttlebutter Tue 26-Jul-11 14:05:41

I wish all potential pet owners were as careful and thorough as you. smile

doggiesdoggiesdoggies Tue 26-Jul-11 17:06:34

I've just been doing research for (hopefully) my new greyhound. What about these guys?
lifelong insurance

The reviews I've read are also good. From my research I do think lifelong insurance is a MUST. You also have to read the small print- eg with petplan after a certain age (8?) you have to pay ~£80 +20% of costs, so for a £1000 vet trip it's £280 you have to stump up - still quite a lot.

doggiesdoggiesdoggies Tue 26-Jul-11 17:22:18

Yep, just called them up for more info- they ONLY cover for vets bills, not accidental death to recoup cost of buying puppy, boarding, etc, not for pre-existing conditions either. Cover is available if you start before the dog is under 8 years old, but then convered until death if you renew every year. You can't start cover after 8, so not good if you rescue an oldie sad They've just said they'll cover an ex racing greyhound though.

A bit excited, sods law i fall in love with a 9 year young grey!

LittleB Wed 27-Jul-11 21:52:24

I'm currently claiming for my dog, he has terminal cancer, he's only 4 poor boy, but so far has cost almost £2k. He's insured with tesco, platinum cover for life, cost about £14 per mth but he is pedigree, and a bit unusual, I had to pay £60 excess but the rest is covered, although I pay upfront on credit card then claim through vets and get cheque from insurance company. We're covered up to £4k but he's unlikely to live long enough to exceed thatsad. At first I had the full cover incl death payment, boarding, holiday cover, advertising if lost etc, but as the premium went up I rang up and cancelled all but vet fees and public liability, which is all we felt we needed. As long as you have a credit card and insurance you should be fine, but shop around for your insurance and get the higher level of cover.

clam Thu 28-Jul-11 15:11:26

Well, having just had to rush my puppy down to the out-of-hours emergency vet after the greedy pig he ate chocolate last night, I would recommend insurance without hesitation. £212 and we were in there less than half an hour! Not that that's relevant, but it's a relief to be able to claim, even if we are liable for £80 excess.

Am sure I read somewhere (on here??) that surprisingly few people (20%?????) insure their pets. I'm staggered by that, actually.

Ormirian Thu 28-Jul-11 15:14:12

We've just taken out ins for our dog.

it covers for up to 4k for each new injury or illness. 1 mill for 3rd party. Also boarding and legal costs related to any claim.

Scuttlebutter Thu 28-Jul-11 18:33:56

Clam, really shock? That's horrifying.

clam Thu 28-Jul-11 18:53:15

Am going to have to find that link, coz I can't quite believe it myself!

VivaLeBeaver Thu 28-Jul-11 18:57:01

I don't know if I'll insure my dog next year. She's nearly seven and the cost goes up and up every year. Life expectancy for her breed is only about nine to ten years so I suppose she's counted as elderly which is why it's expensive.

clam Thu 28-Jul-11 19:01:54

Found this

Which seems to say only 15% but as am halfway down a bottle of wine, I may be misinterpreting.

clam Thu 28-Jul-11 19:02:53

But that's 15% of people, not 15% of pet owners.

clam Thu 28-Jul-11 19:07:39

And this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now