Talk

Advanced search

Puppy classes teaching different recall methods

(4 Posts)
Jennytailia Fri 22-Jul-11 12:05:19

So... I know this is my 2nd topic but it's a different question. For around a month I have been teaching my cocker spaniel recall with a whistle, we practise on every walk and she is quite good smile

Last week at puppy class the lady mentioned they would be teaching recall this week. Shall I take my whistle and carry on with my method or should I learn her's and use it at home or something as we only use the whistle outside.

I don't think she would take kindly to me bringing a whistle BTW. she doesn't really listen to my opinions.

misschenko Fri 22-Jul-11 15:19:46

Handy for them to know both voice and whistle recall, seems a bit pointless to use a whistle if dog only a short distance away but if disappearing over the horizon or bogged off in the woods a whistle more likely to be heard than a shout, especially on a windy day. My lab learnt to come back to voice when he was a few months old. When he started venturing further afield I couldn't shout loud enough so used a whistle and didn't need to train him because he seemed to understand right away.

Jaynerae Fri 22-Jul-11 17:34:28

I have always used both voice and whistle - I never go anywhere without whistle if I know I am going to let Beagle off as she can travel a great distance in a very short time! And she responds like a bullet coming back to the whistle smile

But If she is off lead pottering around me as I walk and she wonders where I don't want her to go I recall her by voice.

So as misschenko said it is sensible for them to get used to both.

I only use voice in our training club as Beagle is never far away from me.

Jennytailia Fri 22-Jul-11 22:09:30

Well the class didn't teach recall anyway, it really is a rubbish class. I need to find another.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now