Talk

Advanced search

Taking boy to kennels!

(17 Posts)
lisad123 Thu 21-Jul-11 12:22:15

I have never had him in kennels before and am panicking. They come recommended and seem lovely but I just worry they will give him wrong food, he will be attacked by another doggy, they will nit give him his brain toys sad

How do u lot do it?

minkymeerkat Thu 21-Jul-11 12:51:20

I feel for you. I've never taken our boy either, well he is only 10 months old.

But we go away tomorrow, not an option to be able to take him with us so he is going on holiday with some friends for the week.

I'm already panicking, will they feed him/walk/cuddle him enough.

Will he miss me/forget me.

Will he pine all day and cry (actually this really is a worry as he does cry when i leave him).

I know i will be really upset once we drop him off. I am looking forward to our holiday but i've told DH this is the last time without him.

He is sat at my feet now looking as if he knows what is going to happen sad or it might be that he wants some of my crisps, i can't be 100% sure wink

minkymeerkat Thu 21-Jul-11 12:53:36

lisad123 just looked at your profile, you have a beautiful family. I wish your DH all the best with his battle

Lizcat Thu 21-Jul-11 13:10:53

Mobile mop returned home on Monday after his first time in kennels - 10days - beyond the fact that for the first 24 hours he was superglued to my side he was fine. When we arrived he was so excited to see the other dogs he didn't even look back at me. He has special food and about the right amount was missing from the bag so I guess the gave him the right stuff - though I had warned about the projectile vomit if he has other stuff so that may have helped.
They reported that he had had a great time.
Finally I was duty vet for a quarantine kennel for 5 years and even when we had 70 dogs in quarantine we never had a single dog attack so I wouldn't worry about it.
meerkat your dog wants your crisps.
lisa your dog will have a brilliant doggy time.

minkymeerkat Thu 21-Jul-11 13:15:36

lizcat so true, he lost interested once all the crisps were gone

lisad123 Thu 21-Jul-11 15:01:55

Thank you minky blush
He seemed ok, although was barking at me as I was leaving and he is next to a snappy little staff but are moving him to the larger kennel once the other dogs have gone later today (they were meant to have been collected this morning)
I did warn them about his diahorra if he eats other foods grin
We always take him with us normally, as we normally camp, it's only till Monday smile

minkymeerkat Thu 21-Jul-11 15:16:40

Its a bit like....whispers very quietly....when you leave the children at nursery for the first time blush

I have no shame he is my baby wink

lisad123 Thu 21-Jul-11 15:59:25

I agree, he is like my baby we can't have blush
Do u think be ok to ring tonight and see how he settled?

minkymeerkat Thu 21-Jul-11 16:04:51

Well i would/am going to call during the week to make sure he is ok.

I don't care if i come across as daft, he is a member of our family and we will all miss him

lisad123 Thu 21-Jul-11 17:38:06

minky, your doggy is beutiful, is he a doddle? I cant view profiles via iphone blush so had to wait till got on (kicked kids off) laptop

coccyx Thu 21-Jul-11 20:16:50

You are not daft, he is one of your family. Sure he will be fine

BeerTricksPotter Thu 21-Jul-11 20:25:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsDistinctlyMintyMonetarism Thu 21-Jul-11 22:09:10

I go to pick up my dogs tomorrow - they have been in quarantine kennels for 30 days. sad

Stupid bloody Australians. They don't get quarantine coming from Oz to the UK - what about a reciprocal agreement??

Anyhoo, have got lovely new leads and collars, dog sweets, collapsible dog bowl and blanket and a 1000km drive to get them home.

I am so excited. smile

minkymeerkat Fri 22-Jul-11 08:45:24

Thank you and yes Lisa, he is a cocker/poodle cross, (awaits flaming from other Mnetters)

He is a wonderful boy, he has such a lovely gentle nature and is very clever.

My girls have just left for school and had to say goodbye now as we take him before they get home. It will seem very strange coming home without him. Good job we leave a few hours later, can't imagine how odd it will be without him waking us up each morning with sloppy kisses sad

Good luck MrsD, I bet you are going to be very relived to pick up your dogs

lisad123 Mon 25-Jul-11 09:39:38

why would anyone flame you for having a cockpoo? Have I missed something?
Im off to pick him up in an hour or so, hope his ok smile

minkymeerkat Sun 31-Jul-11 16:09:38

Just picked our boy up after a week away. Well he seems fine and was settled while we were away, however he is very quite at the moment now he is home.

All i can say is we all missed him too much to leave him again.

Avantia Wed 03-Aug-11 10:33:21

My dog has been in kennels before but only for short stays - weekend or over night . My DH has taken her this morning - for just over two weeks - I was in tears sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now