Talk

Advanced search

Blue Cross on undercover boss ch4 now

(24 Posts)
chickchickchicken Tue 19-Jul-11 21:39:13

just watchiing.............

misdee Tue 19-Jul-11 22:45:50

I'm on +1. Its interesting. Waiting to see how it ends.

misdee Tue 19-Jul-11 23:00:04

so what is the blues cross stand on neuturing staffys?

LaCidrai Tue 19-Jul-11 23:05:44

Is it very sad> have taped it but not sure if I could cope if too upsetting.

misdee Tue 19-Jul-11 23:18:54

its nott upsetting. but has highlighted the staffy crisis well.

ditavonteesed Wed 20-Jul-11 07:38:41

I did find it a little bit upsetting, was really impressed with the decision they made about neutering staffy's, was the nurses ideas and they obviously have dealt with it front line for a long time, I am sure the nurses knew who they were talking to though, they brought up every employment issue. The deddication that people show when it comes to the welfare of animals is amazing.

misdee Wed 20-Jul-11 07:50:13

Will be nice to see kimptom done up.

Avantia Wed 20-Jul-11 08:10:08

the poor dogs from Ireland got me - but at least they have a chance of a home .

Very interesting - the number of people at the first Blue Cross centre was amazing - can they all not afford to pay for vets ? But I bet they can pay for cigarettes , sky plus and nights out - sorry being very judgey but was rather shocked, but I suppose better than neglecting their pet or dumoing it at first sign of illness .

emptyshell Wed 20-Jul-11 10:12:09

www.channel4.com/programmes/undercover-boss/4od#3210296

Up on on-demand now if anyone missed it and wants to see.

DogsBestFriend Wed 20-Jul-11 10:55:43

Not sure that I do, it all sounds a bit too close to home for me. sad

I take it the Irish dogs reference above is about the huge number of them in Irish pounds with only 5 days to be reunited with their owners (who generally don't want them anyway) before they are killed?

In the past I've got scores of Irish dogs out of their shitty, heartless pounds and into UK rescues. It's relentless, soul-destroying work, so much so that I'm not sure I want to relive all those memories. sad

It's sad that the Blue Cross get so much less acknowledgement, support and funding than the frigging R$PCA and yet their work is far more worthy of credit.

stupefy Wed 20-Jul-11 11:16:22

The thing that shocked me about it were the number of pedigree dogs in the queues.

Surely if you can afford a Shar Pei you can afford to pay vets bills.

emptyshell Wed 20-Jul-11 11:28:32

There was actually very little dwelling on the destruction aspect of the Irish situation to be honest - she got very emotional seeing the dogs moved from the Irish transport to the Blue Cross one but it was more focusing upon the ridiculousness of a Hertfordshire? > Scotland run once or twice a month when there were centres nearer and the possibility of either relays or hiring in a driver to do the run rather than centre staff doing the 14 hour or so round trip by themselves.... very much coming at it from a logistics angle in that segment of the show.

Was amazed that she could work in animal charities and not be aware of the Ireland problem or the Staffy situation though.

buggerlugs82 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:58:24

Made my DH cry. He's 6ft 5!

misdee Wed 20-Jul-11 14:19:03

are all blue-cross centre vets funded though? or can u register there as your usua vet iyswim?

kimpton is very close to where i live and we do pop by there every now and there for a pottle about and see if any animal there is suitable for us. kimpton is a small site in beautiful countryside that is in need of refurb.

the staffy issue isnt that well known unless u live in an area full of them. round here in herts/london its a masssive issue, however if u go a little further north up the A1 its not as much of an issue.

there was a stray staffy wondering about our local shops last week, soft as anything, but when i came out she had gone. i hope she was ok.

misdee Wed 20-Jul-11 14:20:25

the blue cross bring over dogs from ireland to try and find them homes rather than being destroyed.

DogsBestFriend Wed 20-Jul-11 14:21:32

Get to parts of Yorkshire and the Midlands and the Staffie issue is far worse than down here. Wakefield, Bradford, Birmingham, my fellow rescuers in that area are on their knees in despair.

misdee Wed 20-Jul-11 14:22:34

i imagine the staffy situation is worse in bigger cities then?

misdee Wed 20-Jul-11 14:23:32

out of the 8 dogs at the school gates, 6 are staffy/staffy crosses. the other 2 are poodle crosses

DooinMeCleanin Wed 20-Jul-11 14:25:15

Right up North i.e. Teesside we have Whippets, Lurchers and Greys in desperate need, owing to the popularity of racing, hare coursing and rabbiting sad. Not so much Staffies.

People are outwardly shocked when I tell them that my dogs are pets and not used for hunting or racing.

There is always one breed in more need than others all throughout the country. It is usually staffs and other bull breeds.

DogsBestFriend Wed 20-Jul-11 14:34:04

smile Sorry Dooin - you know me, anything the wrong side of the Thames is "northern"! grin

(You Monkeyhangers Teesiders are BLOODY, SERIOUSLY, SCARILY north!) grin grin grin

misdee Wed 20-Jul-11 14:37:22

yeah i'm north but south of you dbf lol.

emptyshell Wed 20-Jul-11 16:35:02

DBF - I'm a Mackem originally - even further north!

Scuttlebutter Wed 20-Jul-11 17:17:05

Empty is practically a Viking! grin

Pauses for non related dribble at thought of Thor Hushovd. Sigh. As you were.....

NewChicken Wed 20-Jul-11 20:53:14

i didnt find the programme upsetting as it focused on how the organisation was run as opposed to the animals. (there was a brief section when they were moving a nervous dog from one van to another which made me a bit tearful though)

i was disappointed that the ceo of blue cross said she knew there was a staffie problem but not the magnitude of it. how can she not know?

also, i would have liked to have seen more vigorous discussion on how to help reduce this problem as there are now thousands of poor staffies unwanted in rescue

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now