Talk

Advanced search

I got told to tell my dog off today!

(12 Posts)
emptyshell Mon 18-Jul-11 13:48:31

Walking in the local wood/park/squirrel-infested doggy paradise this morning, dog on lead because to be honest, it had just stopped raining and I fancied a morning without the car being customised with eau-de-wet-dog if he whomped off through the undergrowth, so plodding along on-lead just fine. Little small unspecified but expensive-looking dog (probably of the ridiculously named crossbreed variety) comes along off lead - sniffs my dog's arse, who of course reciprocates... owner starts barking at me to "tell yer dog off." Then elaborates by saying the dog's skitty about its rear end (wasn't at all to my dog who is incredibly gentle to smaller doggies anyway - he's amazing to watch with puppies bless him).

Cue one of those moments where after they've walked away and you really really wish you'd bitten back at her - HER dog is the one with problems who came bowling up to my on-lead dog (thankfully he's not on-lead for behaviour problems heh) and I'm sorry, I adopt an equal opportunities policy to arse sniffing - if her dog comes along to sniff my dog's arse (insane creature - it's like a bio hazard zone around there) then my dog is of COURSE going to sniff back. To fucking start shouting at me to tell my dog off because hers has problems and she can't be fucked to put it on a lead... grrrrrrrrrrr.

Grrrrrr. Give the poor bugger a break - he's a quick tail wag, mutual bum sniff and on his way plodding dog anyway at the best of times!

chickchickchicken Mon 18-Jul-11 14:07:13

grin at "I adopt an equal opportunities policy to arse sniffing"
quite right too

she was in the wrong. i try to ignore people like this. even if you answer back they will still think they are in the right. arsehole (pun intended!)

chickchickchicken Mon 18-Jul-11 14:11:31

i often take dogs to the woods with a shallow freshwater stream near the car park so that they can have a drink after walk or have a paddle if its hot. one day i was there with my dogs in the stream and a woman came along with her dog and got all huffy that my dogs had muddied the water so she couldnt let her dog drink from it confused

i pointed it that the water was still fresh water (it was running) but dogs had only disturbed the sediment on the bottom. she was really offended and said her dog had to go without a drink now. she was of the opinion that her dog would only drink clear water

Ephiny Mon 18-Jul-11 14:12:11

She sounds very odd. Why would you tell your dog off for normal harmless doggy behaviour like that - wouldn't that just be counter-productive and make him feel he's doing something wrong by calmly greeting another dog?

If her dog is not good with meeting others, then it's surely up to her to keep him on a lead or call him away from potential trouble. Sounds like he was fine anyway - I'd say she's the one with behavioural problems not the dog, shouting at people for no reason like that!

misdee Mon 18-Jul-11 14:50:36

isnt butt sniffing doggy for hello?

ralph doesnt like his penis being sniffed atm as i think he is still a bit tender round there,. bt does enjoy a good butt sniff.

Tchootnika Mon 18-Jul-11 18:39:45

equal ops/arse sniffing - you've said it all!
Of course she was being a very, very clueless twat. They exist - and often own small dogs which they're not good at managing. Then they get terrified at nothing at all and blame perfectly reasonable owners of larger dogs.
I could go on....

Avantia Mon 18-Jul-11 20:53:18

Her dog is skitty about its arse because she has made it so !

Dogs say hello by sniffing each others arses - so glad God didn't get humans and dogs mixed up !

Oh I would have loved to have met her on a walk - I am so PMT today .

RidcullySentTheBursarMad Mon 18-Jul-11 21:59:49

People who allow their off-lead dogs to go barrelling up to my on-the-lead dog really piss me off anyway, but then to be told to tell your dog off... That would have really got me ranting.

Tchootnika Mon 18-Jul-11 22:12:36

Oh, Ridcully - have you been on AIBU, today?

RidcullySentTheBursarMad Mon 18-Jul-11 22:16:18

No, why?

Tchootnika Mon 18-Jul-11 22:22:15

Gawd, there's a thread all about off-lead dogs - most posters very reasonable indeed, I've gotta say - but still, it's worn me out. <pathetic, I know, but I too get properly vexed by irresponsible dog owners>

Good place to go and add your voice, though, just to emphasise the point that we're not all idiots who let our dogs charge at anything in sight...
wine
Must get off the MN and back to work.

CoffeeIsMyFriend Mon 18-Jul-11 22:26:21

well in the mood I was in this morning the eejit would have got a loud and proud "Oh Do Fuck OFF!" from me.

I agree with the equal opportunity arse sniffing policy. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now