Talk

Advanced search

How high a fence would you need to keep a collie in the garden?

(7 Posts)
silentcatastrophe Sun 17-Jul-11 21:01:45

I don't know if 4' would be high enough. the gate is 4' and he has never jumped over it. Doesn't mean he wouldn't. Our garden is pretty big, an extension of a field really. Who has fenced in a garden and with what?

CoffeeIsMyFriend Sun 17-Jul-11 22:07:49

I have a 6ft fence on 2 sides of my garden and a graduated 4ft and 5ft fence on the other side. I know that both my GSDs could hop the fence if they chose to, however, they have NEVER been taught to jump a fence and it just doesnt occur to them to do it. Thankfully

At our previous house our garden sounds similar to yours. We had a huge farm gate at the start of the driveway and it was fenced all the way round the perimeter with post and rail and mesh fencing with a hedge round most of it. Again my GSDs could have hopped over it if they wanted to, but never did.

mymumdom Sun 17-Jul-11 22:11:52

Depends on the dog.
We have a collie X and I don't think he would ever jump a 4 ft fence, even when younger. Now we have a Lurcher and kept going over 6ft fence into next doors garden. shock
We've had to put chicken wire along the top to keep her in.

ellangirl Mon 18-Jul-11 11:39:31

Ours could easily get over 4 foot, so we extended it up to 6 foot, but mostly because there are sheep in the field behind our house. She has never shown any inclination to get over that height. Any kind of fence that doesn't have foot holds IYSWIM, because some are good at climbing, not just jumping!

ImeldaM Mon 18-Jul-11 14:57:51

Ours is 6ft, think you definitely need that if dog is going to be outside on its own, would jump over 4ft easily.

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 18-Jul-11 16:05:12

My collie doesn't jump our 3 foot fence, but she can't be left in the garden as she digs big holes. Our spaniel however will jump out of the garden to fetch his ball and then jump back in again. He is out most of the day, he has no urge to run off (yet).
We have had more problems with the conifer hedge the other side, the collie is always finding holes to squeeze through in that!

My dogs only seem to need the fence as a boundary marker. It can't possibly be seen as a 'fence' since they could easily jump it.

Tchootnika Mon 18-Jul-11 18:22:45

As per fruitshoots
If a collie wants to clear a 4" fence, (s)he'll do so easily...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now