Advanced search

What are Lab x collie like?

(17 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Sun 17-Jul-11 19:50:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nojustificationneeded Sun 17-Jul-11 19:53:48

Purplebuns Sun 17-Jul-11 19:58:18

If she is getting a rescue they usually have quite a lot of information on what the character of the dog is like anyway?
It is hard to generalise as the dog could have certain collie characteristics like trying to herd people and completely separate lab ones or any combo! I haven't met this particular cross, however I imagine a crazy puppy until they are too old to be crazy any more wink

nojustificationneeded Sun 17-Jul-11 20:18:22

Purplebuns Sun 17-Jul-11 20:34:43

Really? They had more information about my cat and she was a stray! Have they not done obs on him?
Looking at the dogs they have had though I would have thought they could cope with him, those are all mental hard work breeds. Anyway I am sure they will do home checks and things?

saffronwblue Mon 18-Jul-11 10:19:07

My dog ( 8 months) is a lab/collie cross. She is very, very bouncy and high energy and did I say active? Big deep bark, quite a bit of chewing. She is confident, affectionate, exuberant, clever, adores fetching a ball, eats anything like a lab and needs lots of exercise and stimulation. She is going to be a lovely family dog when she settles down a bit (I keep telling DH!).

Designer breeders have called this mix the borador and if you google this you will find quite a lot of info.

Ormirian Mon 18-Jul-11 10:21:34

Harley is a lab x collie (x staffie somewhere along the line!). He is gentle, loving, good-natured and quick to learn. He's 11 m.

Sadly he also likes to chew things sad RIP old sofa and new leather dining-chair. But that is the puppy thing more than the lab x collie thing I suspect

bumpybecky Mon 18-Jul-11 12:51:44

our dog was a lab x collie, rescue so we never knew exactly what, but definitely more lab than collie

she did chew as a puppy, but stopped as she got older
she was very clever, bit too clever sometimes - she understood about 50 words (not just walk, park, dinner etc but knew all the family member's and friends names etc)
she barked to let us know someone was at the door, or at nextdoor's door, or sometimes at the door across the road
she loved to scare pigeons by barking at them, but used to ask for permission first!
she was brilliant with the kids and cats, very, very gentle with little ones

and now I'm crying! I miss her loads sad

Ormirian Mon 18-Jul-11 14:36:25

sad becky.

RidcullySentTheBursarMad Mon 18-Jul-11 22:15:50

My previous dog was a lab x border collie. Very, very high energy (till he reached about 12) and very intelligent. His characteristics were more collie than lab though (he looked like a very short haired collie with a lab face). He chewed like mad (including chewing up an electrical cable hmm and a hole in the stairs) and "indestructible" chew toys would be in pieces within minutes. However, he was lovely, gentle and gorgeous.

memphis83 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:55:02

We have a 7 month old lab x collie, very bouncy but very clever, he learnt commands very quickly, he knows the word NO, as a word to run to his crate with what ever he has in his grasp, can jump totally onto work tops to steal anything he likes, ds's birthday cake which was cooling, frozen chicken, tin of milk powder and box of baby porridge, all he found lovely and tasty, but not as tasty as our lovely green lush garden it currently has 7 holes in it, this is since sunday and he has had 2 laptop cables and a few phone chargers, we have since learnt to move items like this, a few problems along the way but he is a lovely pup that I know will turn into a lovely dog.

Elibean Wed 20-Jul-11 17:43:19

My first dog was a lab/collie cross, she was lovely with people, fine with big dogs, not happy with small dogs - but this was aeons ago and we had no idea how to train beyond 'sit'.

She didn't chew, except during thunderstorms when she'd try to burrow out of the kitchen via the door, the lino, the floorboards sad using teeth and claws and anything else that came to paw.

Against type, she wasn't the brightest biscuit in the barrel either smile but very pretty.

QuietTiger Sat 23-Jul-11 12:11:08

Fantastic dogs - especially if you want them to herd the sheep, and then fetch them from the water they've herded them into! wink

Seriously though, they are, as a rule, high energy, busy, intelligent dogs. They need an active life style and to be kept occupied. If you have time to work with them and meet their needs, you will have a wonderful family friend. But then I biased as the lab and the collie are my 2 favourite working breeds. smile

penneyann Sun 24-Jul-11 23:48:39

I have one since a puppy and she is the most loving , cleverest dog. So bright-understands everything. She is really an ideal family pet but I would say fairly high energy-needs walking daily etc but also loves playing with balls,toys etc.. Very friendly and very intelligent. More collie than lab in ours,I think. I would recommend one as a pet providing that you can give it time,attention etc. Good luck!

penneyann Sun 24-Jul-11 23:51:35

Forgot to add, never had any chewing or barking.

Lara2 Thu 28-Jul-11 20:22:30

I rehomed my 2 gorgeous lab/collies crosses when they were 2 and a half. They are the best - no chewing, only bark to warn us someone has come onto the drive, really cuddly. One looks pure lab, the other is definately a cross because of his white patch and broken coat. They are bouncy, but not in the way I would think a collie would be. They're intelligent and I think I've probably got the best of both breeds. I walk mine for about 2 hours a day - split into a morning and early evening walk. They're very friendly with other dogs and don't jump up at people when we're out. They do have the lab love of the water (luckily we live by the sea and they swim everyday - even when it snowed!!!!), going out in all weathers, and rolling in fox poo. Oh and eating anything that's edible and within reach!

SocialButterfly Thu 04-Aug-11 14:45:23

I have a rescue lax x collie who is around 6 years old. He isnt bouncy at all but is very highly strung, he has so many issues regarding food, other dogs, walks etc. I do think this is more to do with him being a rescue than his breed though. He is very loving but is happy to be left alone and has never chewed anything.

I think it depends how much collie and how much lab he takes after as to what his temprement will be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now