Talk

Advanced search

Separation anxiety - how do we help Daphne?

(4 Posts)
MmeLindor. Sat 16-Jul-11 12:28:01

We travelled to Scotland on the overnightferry and our Maltese terrier had to go into a cage in a separate area of the boat. She is not used to being alone at night, she normally sleeps under our bed.

Since we arrived in Scotland we have taken her with us some days and other days left her at home with my parents.

Now when she sees us getting ready to go out, she starts shivering and sits on my knee if she can.

I am worried about the journey home more than anything.

She is not often left at home alone when we are in Switzerland as you can take dogs pretty much everywhere.

MmeLindor. Sat 16-Jul-11 19:49:46

Bump

emptyshell Sat 16-Jul-11 20:22:57

The usual things are leaving her very very briefly, not building up to a big farewell/welcome back (the welcome back kills me making him wait for a fuss), mixing your leaving up - so put your coat on - go watch TV and stuff so they don't get this big set routine of OMG HUMANS ARE LEAVING HUMANS GOING HELP HELP HELP! in their head.

I find a lot of distraction toys help as well - I've got a Kong Wobbler I put dinner in and he's usually so busy working that out that he's not noticed me going out of the door (I leave a few things like that out - he's got a little dumbell that he chucks up and it releases a few crumbs from the verry bashed about treats inside that he will play with for HOURS - and it squeaks a bit too!) - and leaving a radio on as well for company and to block out any noises from outside that might cause a freakout (the kids coming back from the local comp seem to set him off quite a bit as well).

MmeLindor. Sat 16-Jul-11 23:34:24

Oh, good ideas. Love the doggy panic scene - exactly how I imagine her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now