Talk

Advanced search

Another pup died at moby's vets

(14 Posts)
kid Sat 16-Jul-11 10:46:37

I feel so sorry for the poor family, I know exactly how they must be feeling.
I know 2 dogs dying in 14 months is not many and probably not cause for concern, but I can't help think it's too many.

R.I.P little girl sad

intelligenceitself Sat 16-Jul-11 19:13:26

That's very sad. Was it because of the same procedure? My rescue pup is being booked in soon

BitOfFun Sat 16-Jul-11 19:15:48

How awful. I was thinking about Moby today, because I'm having to consider getting Pickle spayed soon. I just couldn't bear it if something went wrong- that was so heartbreaking.

BooyHoo Sat 16-Jul-11 19:17:47

oh, kid! sad this must be hard for you an bring back so much pain. what happened?

Northernlurker Sat 16-Jul-11 21:11:31

GA has risks and some animals (and people) have vulnerabilities that aren't detectable beforehand. We all can, in theory, be unlucky. No consolation I know.

kid Sat 16-Jul-11 23:37:32

It was another client of my dog trainer. Their dog went in to be spayed and died on the operating table.

I don't know if it was the same vet performing the operation, but it was at the same surgery.

Lots of dogs are neutered each week without problems. Before Moby died, I'd never even heard of it happening. I knew GA carried a risk but I assumed that was in older dogs. I was never told there was a risk.

I never did go back to the same vets, I couldn't face going in there. It took me a long time to even be able to walk past.

I do hope the other family are okay, they will be feeling very sad and probably have a touch of guilt too.

chickchickchicken Sat 16-Jul-11 23:41:39

there is always a risk with GA (whether humans or animals) and we all have to sign consent forms accepting this risk. the risk however is tiny. very sad when this happens though

CoffeeIsMyFriend Sun 17-Jul-11 09:25:43

oh no! That is not very good Kid. I hope you are ok.

I have been talking to DH about getting pupstar spayed and I just cant make a coherent decision. I think of moby and put it off. sad

kid Sun 17-Jul-11 11:53:49

I'm okay, thanks. I feel sad that another family are going through what we went through. I still feel sad about Moby all the time.

It's rare for a dog to due during a routine op, it's just 1 in 1000 but that didn't help me and it won't help the other family.

I don't trust that particular vets and definitely would never recommend them. I would never openly name and shame them either (I don't think I have before now?) as they don't deliberately kill their animals. If people ask me locally, I tell them.

It's not my intention to make their business fail but people should be made aware of what can and has happened.

I've now got teddy and there is no way I am having him neutered. I couldn't take the risk and I don't care how small that risk is. Losing Moby did break my heart and I didn't think I would ever get over him dying. Teddy has helped but the sadness and pain has never completely gone sad

kid Sun 17-Jul-11 11:57:41

chick I asked the vet about the risks involved and also about the recovery period. He ignored my question about the risks and replied that it's a routine op and Moby should be fine after a couple of days. We corresponded by email so I even have it in writing.
I did sign something at the vets on the morning but at no point was I told there were any risks. I was told to phone at 3 to see when I could collect him. When the vet phoned me at 12 I knew something was wrong but had no idea how wrong sad

chickchickchicken Sun 17-Jul-11 12:12:44

i am sorry this happened to you. we all have to sign consent forms prior to GA because there are risks and we sign to say we have accepted the risks. the vet is correct in that it is a routine op and dog should be fine in a couple of days

i am very sorry this happens at all but thats the very small risk with GA. the health benefits for your dog far outweigh the risks of a GA

fwiw ds had an allergic reaction to GA when he was 1 and nearly died. he has since had two different OPs (both for non life threatening problems) under GA and been fine. i found talking to the anaesthetists (different hospitals for ops) helped and they understood my concerns and were able to reassure me

kid Sun 17-Jul-11 15:41:21

Isn't there an alternative to the GA like a mild sedative or something?

I know when I had a c-section, I had to sign a document to say I understood the risks.

DS broke his hand recently and was at risk of needing an op to put wire into bone. I freaked out as I just can't ever trust GA again. I've had GA once for teeth extraction which was fine. Another patient at the same dentist practice died the following year after having the same procedure. That was a case of negligence though and the surgery was closed down as a result, but GA just scares me in any situation sad

chickchickchicken Sun 17-Jul-11 15:57:43

thats completely understandable that you are scared of GA

there are mild sedatives (not a vet mind) but would assume not suitable for animal ops due to risk of animal moving?

chickchickchicken Sun 17-Jul-11 15:59:52

btw although ds has still had two operations since his allergic reaction in both instances i had to speak to the anaesthetist first as i was too nervous to just agree so i am still a bit scared too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now