Talk

Advanced search

Why is my dog doing this?

(6 Posts)
PipCarrier Fri 15-Jul-11 13:33:46

I have two male (brothers from the same litter) golden retrievers, nearly 4 years old.

One of them sometimes gets little cuts under his fur from scraping under a fence or similar on a walk, then when he gets home the other one licks and bites at the area until he's removed all of his fur! Currently he has two huge bald patches on his back.

We tried separating them but they get really distressed, we've tried putting a t-shirt on so that he can't get to much of his back but he just picks a spot that isn't covered by it and so our last option is we ship one of them off to my in-laws for a week to let the patches heal!

Why do they do this? I think it must be some sort of instinct where he thinks he's being helpful exposing the cut to the air to help it heal?!! He actually just makes it worse though because he licks it red raw.

So how do I stop it in the longer term? I tell him no whenever I catch him doing it but with children under two as well it's pretty hard to keep an eye on the dogs all day as well!

ditavonteesed Sat 16-Jul-11 07:53:39

ok not dog related but same principle, If a chicken (sorry I known but only experience I have of this) gets hurt the other chickens will peck at it, and will eventually kill the chicken (evil ladies they are), anyway you can get something called anti pek spray which basically is antiseptic but also smells and tastes vile, wonder if you can get something similar for dogs, or even if the chicken one would work.

Mummy2LZ Sat 16-Jul-11 08:03:11

Dont know why he is doing it but you can get something like bitter apple to spray on it. (As long as it dosnt irritate the skin) That should make it taste disgusting and deter him. Although being a Goldie he may well like the taste as they eat everything in sight. (Mine just swallowed a 6cm fishing hook!!)
I have heard of dogs doing this before so its not that uncommon.
You are doing the right thing in keeping them apart until it heals if the other dog wont leave it alone.
Hope he gets better soon smile

Mummy2LZ Sat 16-Jul-11 08:05:02

Meant to say there is a product called wound guard that will deter licking. Not sure if it is an English product, but have seen it on the internet. Just google it.

Jaynerae Sat 16-Jul-11 08:41:35

You could also cover the wound in an anti lick strip maybe?

PipCarrier Wed 20-Jul-11 20:12:18

Thanks all for your advice, I will look into the anti-lick strip etc now because he has come back after 5 days away and started right back on it. They were just healing up so I'm really cross. It happened whilst I was bathing the children, there's just no way of keeping my eyes on them all the time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now