Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any vets who can offer advice please?

(14 Posts)
thewizenedone Fri 15-Jul-11 10:17:17

My dear old girl had a "funny turn" Tuesday evening, we didn't see it happen but husband heard her fall off sofa and found her a bit shaken took her upstairs, rang vet etc etc, advised some sort of fit or seizure. We noticed she was a bit "absent" didnt seem to know us, and her breathing was rapid. Husband took her to vet who did a thorough check didnt think it was a stroke or epilepsy.

Advised to bring her back yesterday for major tests, CT scan, bloods etc. Wednesday evening she was almost back to her old self except for the rapid breathing, she could recognise us and was eating.

Took her back yesterday -she has cancer sad seems there is a tumour on her spleen and one on her heart. At the vets there was a cardiologist who was concerned by her breathing so a scan was done. Her pericardial sac was filled with fluid which was drained.

She is very quiet, slept with us last night, ate a steak for breakfast and was looking for more. We went to see our brilliant vet who said we have the following options

Do nothing, she is not suffering and ultimately her heart will just stop she wont suffer.

Tumour reduction with aggressive chemo - not something they would do with their own dog

Inserting a pericardial drain (sp) which could potentially extend her life for maybe 12 weeks.

I am trying to be realistic and will obviously do whats right for her but I am in bits trying to decide.

Has anyone got any experience of the success of these types of drains or time gained? I am honestly thinking that any time wont necessarily have quality attached she obviously cant go for a run through the fields, but she doesnt seem ready to give up. When we got to the vets today to discuss options she was sniffing around where other dogs had been. We popped in to see my mum and she was pleased and very "waggy"

I have absolute confidence in my vet but would like to hear possibly from others to try to make the absolute right decision for her. My husband thinks just let her have a quiet end at home as the vet has said she wont know anything about it, and he is reluctant for her to have more surgery which as we all know comes with inherent risks.

Sorry its a long post

thewizenedone Fri 15-Jul-11 16:35:06

Just to say we had Molly pts this afternoon. She was a great dog and it was the last thing we could do. RIP Molly.

fruitshootsandheaves Fri 15-Jul-11 16:37:26

Aww so sorry
Try to think about the good times rather than the last few days.

thewizenedone Fri 15-Jul-11 16:45:31

Thanks I am starting to feel a bit calmer, it was difficult as she had virtually no blood pressure so I dont think surgery would have helped. Thanks for responding.

fruitshootsandheaves Fri 15-Jul-11 16:54:19

It's such a hard decision but another 12 weeks would have been harder as you would have been trying so hard everyday to make it perfect just in case it was the last one.
We had our dog PTS almost 3 years ago. He was only 4 and although he could have been cured we just couldn't get him to take his medication any more, He had given up. In fact the vet actually told us it would be best to have him PTS.
I like to remember him at his best all bouncy and happy and chasing anything with feathers!
Hope you're not too sad tonight,...and whatever you do don't watch Marley and me!

DooinMeCleanin Fri 15-Jul-11 16:56:04

I'm so sorry op sad. Please be kind to yourself tonight and remember you did the right thing.

thewizenedone Fri 15-Jul-11 16:59:37

Thanks for the kind messages, unfortunately I read Marley and Me when it was first published, and watched it sad so sorry about your dog FSAL that must have been so tough, but as I said you have to do the right thing by them hard as it is. Its my third experience and after the last one I said never again. Thanks again for the kind thoughts

Jaynerae Fri 15-Jul-11 17:00:26

I am so sorry OP. You really did do the right think, I had to have two of my Shelties PTS, one 22 years ago and one 10 years ago due to cancer. It is the most difficult descision a dog owner ever has to make. But it is the one last thing we can do for our beloved dogs.

Take it easy, eventually the memories will be the happy ones. Loves last gift is rememberance.

thewizenedone Fri 15-Jul-11 17:04:23

Thank you Jaynerae, Shelties are such sweet dogs, my husbands uncle has always had them, his latest one however has detested him from the start he now says thats become just an "active dislike" smile your last quote moved us to tears, but in a good way

Jaynerae Fri 15-Jul-11 17:20:24

It's actually the words on my Dad's rememberance stone - and It just fits, if you know what I mean.

Shelties are lovely aren't they, last one died fours years ago, DD was 3 so we decided not to get a dog for a while, then last year we decided it was time to get another one.

So we got a Beagle - she is 15 months now - very derstructive at home if she gets bored - but very very good when off lead it park - we have just got our Silver award in obedience smile

DD and our CKCS who we adopted in Feb of this year also got their silver - DD is 7 so I am very proud of them both.

Time will heal the wounds and you will be able to think of the good times - just take confort in the knowledge that your beloved doggy is at peace now and will not have to suffer any pain.

chickchickchicken Fri 15-Jul-11 18:45:10

i am so sorry sad

thewizenedone Fri 15-Jul-11 19:12:28

I am impressed with your dogs achievements Jaynerae you must work hard with them. Obedience was never Molly's strong point especially with games of chase to be had with other dogs, she just wasnt food motivated outside so training was a non starter grin I cant imagine having another dog at the moment, but the house is already so empty without her sad. Thanks for your sympathy chickchickchicken people have been very kind. sat here having a large wine

maddiemostmerry Fri 15-Jul-11 21:48:31

I am so sorry about Molly. I bet she had a wonderful life with you.

kid Sat 16-Jul-11 00:09:48

I'm very sorry to hear about Molly but am convinced you did the right thing.

My darling puppy died during surgery last year and it completely broke my heart. At first I refused to even consider another dog, but 3 months later we got our current dog.
It can take a very long time to get over losing a dog, but time does help ease the pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now