Talk

Advanced search

Mortified with dog, annoyed at myself and pissed off with passer by - all before 7am !

(11 Posts)
Avantia Fri 15-Jul-11 07:59:32

Early morning walk in a Royal Park - everything hunky dory - nobody about - no sign of deer .

Walk nearly over when dog spots two deer heading towards our way - she bolts for them and chases them into bracken . I am shouting , blowing whistle but chase is on - I am mortified with dog , annoyed with myslef for not spotting the deer first - lead would have been on. She has never chased deer before - she has never had the chance to for a start .

As I am calling her frantically some passer by on a bike shouts ' Get her on a lead ' - No shit Sherlock ! You can imagine my reply to him .

Once she lost them in bracken she came back to me - I was angry with her but also pleased she came back - how do I deal with that ?

Passer by could see and hear I am frantically caling her back - what a stupid comment - yes I know she needs to be on a lead !

I am truely mortified what she did - now worried that she has had the inital chase she will be up for more .

She is just over 1 yr old .

Still fuming about it all , I supposed I dont blame passer by for his reaction but bloddy stupid comment . I blame myself for not spotting deer.

I just need to rant about my dog and me ! smile

Abra1d Fri 15-Jul-11 08:10:12

You have my sympathy. Dogs can really make you feel mortified. Deer are hard to spot in the bracken.

Avantia Fri 15-Jul-11 08:16:07

She is now sitting by me looking at me with those brown labrador eyes - how can I be annoyed with her !

Well doggy I still am ! angry smile

Merrylegs Fri 15-Jul-11 08:25:43

You are only more stressed because the passer-by stated the BLEEDIN' OBVIOUS. If he hadn't you would have merely been annoyed "bloody dog, silly me. Ah well, lesson learned."

But actually you have done a very kind thing. You have made someone's day. He will now tell all his mates about the incident 'so I told her I did...' And they will say to him' Oh well done you. yes what is society coming to. tut tut.'

And they will all feel v worthy and you will have boosted their self esteem.

(and do not be angry with dog, It's all 'yay!' and 'good boy!' and 'have a sausage'. Because he will think 'ooh I came back. sausage!' And if you mention the deer he will be like 'deer? What deer? Where there deer?')

StayingNearlyHeadlessNicksGirl Fri 15-Jul-11 09:36:48

>>>>> SQUIRREL >>>> !! grin

Avantia Fri 15-Jul-11 13:29:17

Merrylegs - you hit nail on head about becoming more stressed by his comment. Hopefully he works or lives witha MNer who reads this and think what a tosser he was for stating the obvious .

I did praise her when she came back but all through gritted teeth ! grin

Pleb1969 Sat 16-Jul-11 21:57:16

my mum was walking my 2 border collie/jack russell crosses YEARS go with her Irish Wolfhound over the local common when they came across a deer - all 3 normally placid/docile dogs suddenly went into 'pack mode' and attacked the deer, ending up chasing it onto the road whereby it got hit by a car and had to be destroyed by the local vet. instinct is a powerful thing...

CoffeeIsMyFriend Sun 17-Jul-11 11:00:32

oh deer. grin <sorry, couldnt help myself.

I feel your pain. I can imagine the scenario, as my friend lives next to Bushy Park and she has had to train numerous dogs she has had over the years to leave the swans/deer/water/anything else alone.

Maybe get a long line so that next time this happens (and chances are it will!) you can stop it before it turns into a good game.

Avantia Sun 17-Jul-11 11:47:20

Hi Coffee

I usually do walk her on a long line near deer but didn't spot them in time as they dashed across the road .

They were also a 'moving' target , usually when they are grazing in the distance she doesn't notice them. I also put her on lead when approaching another dog if deer in distance in case ' pack' instinct takes over .

The Royal parks are a lovely place to walk the dogs , especially early in the morning .

It is a good place to train your dog on long line - horses , deer, geese, swans - although they give a good hiss if you get to near , children , balls , other dogs all shapes , sizes etc etc smile

Had a lovely walk this morning - no incidents to report thankfully .

CoffeeIsMyFriend Sun 17-Jul-11 19:02:16

I wouldnt worry too much about it Avantia I think all dog owners have a 'moment' in The Royal Parks where instinct takes over. It is just a case of getting control again ASAP and hoping nobody saw anything. blush

Avantia Mon 18-Jul-11 11:35:21

Thanks Coffee smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now