Talk

Advanced search

French Bulldogs

(6 Posts)
walesblackbird Wed 13-Jul-11 10:08:04

Our old doggie, a 13 year old dalmatian, is struggling with life at the moment. His back legs are very wobbly and he no longer manage stairs or anything other than a very short walk the garden. But he's still here, still eating and still stealing food from the bin so life's clearly not all bad smile.

When the time is right we'd like another dog and having done quite a bit of research we're all pretty much agreed that we'd like a French bulldog. I would love a chocolate lab but have to be realistic and recognise that at this stage a smaller dog would suit our lifestyles better.

I'm a sahm with three children between 5/10, we have a big garden and fields behind us. DH works away quite a bit and so the doggie would be my responsibility - and I'm keen on a smaller dog this time. Our dallie was always a nightmare on the lead and despite endless training continued to pull. He was never great with other dogs either although fabulous with all our children! DS2 would like a chihuahua - but he's in a minority of 1 there!

So, how do I start the process of finding someone reputable? I have registed with the KC for updates on new puppy registrations and I have found the French Bulldog official website and read quite a bit.

I don't think it would be fair on our old doggie to bring a new puppy into his life and so it is something for when he's no longer with us but I just wanted some idea of how/where to start!

Any advice welcome.

Bast Thu 14-Jul-11 11:32:23

There are many reputable rescues, full to death row of pups and dogs desperate for a good home smile

walesblackbird Thu 14-Jul-11 19:04:15

Open to a rescue - but how do you find them? We're in S Wales and I'm very aware of the puppy farms in West Wales which I want to avoid.

Having 'rescued' three children through adoption I'm open to rescuing a dog to go with our family!

hephaestus Thu 14-Jul-11 19:12:22

Many Tears have had several Frenchies in, they are in Carmarthenshire. smile

Have a look through their available dogs and keep an open mind, they often have small dogs that have come directly from homes and will slot right in to another household.

walesblackbird Thu 14-Jul-11 19:58:23

Oh no, I want them all!

Seriously though, I have to be very careful. One of my children has special needs, ADHD plus an attachment disorder due to his poor start to life and inconsistent parenting prior to being placed with us. Because I have adopted three children I am very drawn to animals who have had a less than ideal start to life - but because my three children have also experienced that then the match has to be right.

Do you think it would be easier for our old dallie to wait ... or would he appreciate the company of a little one now? Poor old chap is really struggling at the moment - but as I'm at home anyway I do have the time to care for both of them (plus three human puppies!!)

chickchickchicken Thu 14-Jul-11 20:32:07

i used to be a foster carer (children with disabilities) and i have a son with asd. i approached a reputable rescue and explained my circumstances and let them match us with an appropriate dog. we have had him 5/6yrs now and he is amazing. he is incredibly gentle with kids and other animals. he was age 1-2 (tho probably nearer 1) when we adopted him. he was neutered, vaccinated, and we have the back up of the rescue for his lifetime. this includes taking him back in the unlikely event we could no longer care him and free ongoing access to a behaviourist if we needed it.

a while ago someone in the doghouse called rescue dogs ttrd (or similar) which stands for tried and tested rescue dog. by adopting a rescue dog you are not only giving a home to an existing animal that is without one but you are rehoming a dog whose temperament is already known and can be assessed.

important to choose a reputable rescue. make sure it is a rescue (not always obvious especially if they have rescue in their name) that will give you this life long back up but that will also have the skills to assess a dog as being suitable for your particular circumstances

with regard to rehoming another dog with your elderly dog, you know your dog best but i would say most elderly dogs do not want a puppy or boisterous young dog bothering them

also remember that many rescues have dogs placed with fosterers all over the UK and you dont necessarily have to live near the centre

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now