Talk

Advanced search

how do i get chewing gum off my dog?

(13 Posts)
goddessofmud Sat 09-Jul-11 22:30:51

it's stuck to his fur and skin, covered in gravel an rock solid. god knows how he's managed that... he's small enogh to fit in the freezer but i don't think he would like it there;)

any ideas please as i don't fancy a trip to the vet again.

stleger Sat 09-Jul-11 22:38:45

Does rubbing mayonnaise work? I think that was in the Simpsons. Poor wee doggy.

kid Sat 09-Jul-11 22:46:52

My dog stepped on chewing gum and then on some stones. I had to pull the fur away from his skin and cut it off a little at a time.

Could you try rubbing an ice cube on it and break bits of the chewing gum off as it freezes?

stleger Sat 09-Jul-11 22:53:56

Ds has told me it is peanut butter that they use on the Simpsons, mayo is for nits!

twooter Sat 09-Jul-11 22:58:39

Can you not get scissors between the hair and skin? Don't try and close them, just use the blade to try and cut the hair

whomovedmychocolate Sat 09-Jul-11 23:00:11

Mayonnaise OR peanut butter will work, it's the oil content. Baby oil also works.

goddessofmud Sat 09-Jul-11 23:00:14

thanks for the help. he would eat peanutbutter faster than i could rub it in. will try ice cubes but don't want to pull too much as it's on his tummy

goddessofmud Sat 09-Jul-11 23:02:16

can't use scissors as it's actually stuck to his skin as well as his hair.

PirateDinosaur Sat 09-Jul-11 23:07:48

Try warm (ideally hot, but you don't want to scald the dog) vinegar and an old toothbrush. It works a treat on fabric even for fairly ground-in gum and I can't see why it wouldn't work on the dog.

stleger Sat 09-Jul-11 23:09:25

Poor dog being covered in condiments and snack food. I hate chewing gum.

goddessofmud Sat 09-Jul-11 23:19:40

he's used to beeing covered in food, we have a 2 yr old DD... quite enjoys a late night snack as well

kid Sat 09-Jul-11 23:30:28

Maybe you can put some food on his leg for him to lick while you work on the chewing gum area?

MotherJack Sat 09-Jul-11 23:45:44

"Poor dog being covered in condiments and snack food"

<snort wheeze>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now