Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Night toilet training and burying food- help needed please!

(5 Posts)
rogersmellyonthetelly Sat 09-Jul-11 08:04:56

Peppa is now 5 months old, and while the day toilet training is occasionally hit and miss (when it's raining) night times are good, as she is in her crate while we sleep ( after I went to the loo and stood in a turd <boak> ) at the moment, she wakes at 5am ish and starts whining to come out. Either myself or dh take her down for a wee then come straight back upstairs. Last few mornings she hasn't been too bothered about going out, she does wee when we let her out, but we have to carry her outside as if Left to herself, she gets straight onto our bed and tries to go back to sleep, or if I do manage to get her downstairs, she refuses to go out into the garden unless I physically carry her out and she then does wee immediately.
The other thing I have noticed is that she takes stuff outside and buries it. This is usually bones, but she also does it with other stuff like toys, bread crusts (leftovers) I don't mind this so much as it seems fairly natural behaviour, butninworry about the bones as she digs them up a few days later when they are rotten and stinking and proceeds to eat them (until I remove them as a health risk and chuck them in the bin!)
Will she grow out of the random burying of stuff as she grows up?
Also, with the night time weeing, is it ok to ignore the whining for an hour until we all get up at 6 or is this too long for her to hold it?

Happymm Sat 09-Jul-11 08:18:00

I would think she's old enough really. My puppy has been going 10-7,or even 8 without waking us, and no accidents. She's 13wks now, but has been like this for a while now (not being smug, she does so much else wrong!)

She DH's like a crazy loon. I remove anything she buries, and give a shout if I catch her digging...she still hasn't got the message though hmm

Happymm Sat 09-Jul-11 08:18:35

She doesn't DH obviously, she digs!

Howdoesjuliancope Sat 09-Jul-11 09:27:17

I've no experience of the burying behaviour (yet) but our pup is 13 weeks and has been sleeping 10-6 for the past week so I do think that yours is old enough to do that too.

Ours also used to wake up at 5 but never seemed particularly desperate for a wee when I let her out, so I started ignoring her until I was ready to get up at 6. It took about a week for her to get the message - the first morning she barked/whined for the whole hour and it gradually got shorter and shorter. Even now we might get a single bark at about 5 and then she remembers that it doesn't work because nobody comes.

clam Sat 09-Jul-11 13:06:25

Yeah, mine's 14 weeks and has been going through the night for the last 3 weeks or so. 4 out of 5 nights, there are no poos, and 2 out of 5 no wees. He settles for the night at around 10.30 (we always take him out last thing but it's random as to whether or not he "goes") and wakes somewhere around 6.30.
I was about to say that yours therefore, at 5 months, could be expected to go through, but then remembered how depressing I find it when people report how wonderful their 8 weekers are and never wee in the house or bark at night and I feel like a rubbish 'parent.' He'll get there, but you just have to persevered. Maybe ignore him a few nights and brace yourself for the possible mess in the morning until he gets the idea? We decided that we would rather have an unbroken night's sleep and clean up in the morning than fart around in the garden in the middle of the night while he may, or may not, have performed. You can't always tell anyway, if they disappear off into a bush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now