Talk

Advanced search

Dog shit: what do you do with it?

(26 Posts)
Ormirian Fri 08-Jul-11 16:06:01

We are being ever so good and picking up all of Harley's leavings. But what do you do with the bags? if you are on a walk and manage to fine a poo bin that's easy enough but he tends to do it when he's in the garden anyway. It is OK to put it in the ordinary waste? Do you have your own special poo bin at home?

DooinMeCleanin Fri 08-Jul-11 16:06:45

Double bag and in the wheelie bin with ours.

BeerTricksPotter Fri 08-Jul-11 16:14:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ormirian Fri 08-Jul-11 16:21:26

OK. Thanks. I the wheelie bin loose? Or do you have a special poo bin bag in there too? We had it in the bin in the kitchen thinking the poo bags would contain the stench. They didn't ......

DooinMeCleanin Fri 08-Jul-11 16:21:58

Just loose.

Takver Fri 08-Jul-11 16:25:41

At home - deep pit dug in inaccessible corner of the garden, special shovel to pick it up, bit of ash on top to stop any smell. Never does smell, and takes a very long time to fill up (then replace turf on top of hole, and dig new one).

Can't imagine the number of plastic bags we would go through if we put it all in the bin! Mind you we have a rather large dog.

(Also we don't have small children - but even if we have visitors, the hole isn't in a part of the garden where they would go.)

DizzyDummy Fri 08-Jul-11 16:50:06

Yep, bagged and wheelie bin here too.

zandy Fri 08-Jul-11 17:11:14

www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item--The-Dog-Loo-Toilet--dog-toilet

I don't have a dog, but this is what my friend uses.

zandy Fri 08-Jul-11 17:11:35

Well, her dog uses it, she doesn't! ;D

LordOfTheFlies Fri 08-Jul-11 17:19:51

Someone put a poo-bag in my bin and I was unreasonably annoyed by it.

It's a bin.It was wrapped. They probably just put it in the first available bin bacause I keep mine at the front and most of my neighbours keep theirs at the back.

But, whoa, I was not ready for that when it was bin day.

mymumdom Fri 08-Jul-11 17:25:14

I use degradable nappy bags and chuck them in our bin. We have weekly collections so it doesn't stink too much.

Tchootnika Fri 08-Jul-11 17:34:44

As above (double bag > bins).
Dustbin people where I live are completely intolerant of poo bags and leave them on pavement (sometimes with loose used nappies) when they take other rubbish away. If all poo bags are in larger bag, it's fine, though.

UnseenAcademicalMum Fri 08-Jul-11 17:47:37

Dog rarely poos in the back garden (only when he's really desparate)- he's usually quite happy to wait until he goes for a walk. On the odd times he does go in the garden we just stick it in a poo-bag and in the wheelie bin, working on the basis that it can't stink worse than ds2's pull-ups do. The wheelie bin is kept in the garage though, so never gets direct sun and therefore never really smells.

Kingsroadie Fri 08-Jul-11 19:07:58

Okay we do something a bit different - use bags when out and about and put them in the public bins. At home we pick it up with loo roll and flush it....

Happymm Fri 08-Jul-11 19:37:58

Am with Kings. Bag and bin when out. In the garden have a pooper scooper, which I than chuck down the toilet in the utility room, which us humans don't ever use (really too cold)

Kingsroadie Fri 08-Jul-11 19:41:53

Happy grin

Batteryhuman Fri 08-Jul-11 19:46:50

At home we collect and burn once a week with garden waste and any cardboard collected over the week. In one of those metal dustbin shaped incinerators. (We are conscientious about time of day for these fragrant bonfires honest.)

Fifis25StottieCakes Fri 08-Jul-11 19:51:47

Wheelie bin in a bag at home
Nappy sack when out but then i have to carry it home as there are never any bins

Choufleur Fri 08-Jul-11 19:53:20

In a nappy sack and then in the bin.

clam Fri 08-Jul-11 23:02:58

If it's indoors (rare now) we too pick it up with loo roll and flush it. On walks, poo bags and public bin/wheelie bin on return home.

In the garden he never goes on the lawn, it's always tucked away under bushes in flower beds well away from where anyone treads. I've been pondering this, whether it's OK to leave it there, or if I should wade in and try to find it, camouflaged as it is amongst bark chippings. What do you think?

Ormirian Sat 09-Jul-11 09:43:56

Thankyou.

Flushing is a good idea when he does it in the garden.

But fuck me it stinks! What is in the food? Rescue gave us a bag of James Wellbeloved for sensitive stomachs so surely it should be good stuff..... and his farts <groan> He emptied the sitting room last night while we all stumbled out gasping for air.

Takver Sat 09-Jul-11 15:40:26

We feed Basil on V-dog vegetarian dogfood (used to be called Happi-dog) - we're not vegetarian, but tried it because given that we avoid factory farmed meat it seemed a bit odd to be feeding it to him.
Its a bit pricey, but he definitely seems to do well on it (has been eating it now for maybe 6 years), but the big unexpected advantage is that his shit smells much less horrible and he doesn't fart so much. If we run out and buy normal dogfood it is very painful for all of us (Though not as painful as when he catches a rabbit grin)

Kingsroadie Sat 09-Jul-11 15:45:48

Well Orm - JWB didn't seem to agree with my puppy, although it seems to suit loads of them. He had loads of poo - sometimes less than firm and his farts STANK. Now he is on Acana, poo v firm and no farts.

walkersmum Sat 09-Jul-11 16:22:06

At home I gather it up in a bucket, then dispose of it down the main sewer, luckily the sewer cover is by the back gate an lifts easily, so goes away with a flush of the loo! And with 7 dogs I really do like them to use our garden if possible. On walks I use biodegradable nappy sacks and put in the 'dog' waste bin near where we live.

multitask Sun 10-Jul-11 18:08:15

We feed our dogs raw (raw meaty bones) and the poop is firm like little acorns, they turn white and powdery after couple of days and almost disappear. However, we generally lift it, bag & bin it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now